PDA

View Full Version : Security

lighiche
03-07-2014, 05:23 AM
Thinking of proactive things I can do to prevent my newly restored Series IIA 109 from being nicked/jacked/lifted/stolen.

Not so much worried about contents. A Series truck isn't Ft. Knox. I have a Tuffy Box and that's sufficient for my interior purposes. I just don't want someone to run off with the vehicle itself.

Lots of suggestions out there in the internet LR forum land: fuel cut-off switch, power cut-off switch, real alarm, fake alarm, bonnet lock, clamp on the steering wheel, clamp on the clutch/brake pedals, a logging chain around the axle and a fixed object, camouflage - i.e., leave it its dusty, dingy, dirty dinged up old self so no one would want to steal it - a very large, very drooly, very hungry dog...

Any thoughts as to what's worked best for all y'all?

stomper
03-07-2014, 05:36 AM
I've never needed anything to secure my Rover. I usually leave it with the keys in the ignition, doors unlocked, and walk away. If someone was smart enough to figure out how to start it, (IIa with a start button), and then figure out how to work all the shift levers, they would know that it is a slow, unsporty vehicle that would never get them anywhere.

Many people argue that this topic shouldn't be discussed on the internet, for fear some car thief would learn our secrets. Pfffft. There are no secrets anyone who wants to learn can't already find out there!

jac04
03-07-2014, 05:55 AM
Any thoughts as to what's worked best for all y'all?

I've never had a Land Rover stolen, so it appears that doing absolutely nothing has worked best for me.

I have a battery disconnect switch on my Lightweight, but it is there more for safety/peace of mind during storage.

You would like to think that someone wants to steal your beautiful restored Land Rover, but they don't.

darbsclt
03-07-2014, 06:36 AM
... I just don't want someone to run off with the vehicle itself.

While I've heard that this is actually a pretty big issue in the UK... my thought is that you (your Landy) would need to be targeted in the US. There are just too many "natural" deterrents (on a 2/2A) for the casual thief (unintuitive starting, choke, VERY manual transmission, confusing array of leavers, etc.).

That said, I also have a battery cut-off which I've made a habit of using/removing/stashing when parked.

So, with casual thievery discounted, if your landy happens to be targeted for theft... I'm not sure there's anything you can do to prevent it.

printjunky
03-07-2014, 10:02 AM
If I were back in NH (N. Conway), where there's a bit more familiarity, I might consider a joyride incident a possibility. But I now live in the Midwest, and I've seen 2 non-late-model Rovers (including 90s, 90s) in 15 years. First, is the figuring-it-out factor, as Stomper mentioned (even the SIII with it's backwards-turning key and "distinct" shift/clutch/choke/accelerator behavior). Second, I don't think anyone could get very far here in a red 73 Land Rover pickup cab with a Union Jack painted on the roof without notice. It kind of stands out.

I also leave the top off all summer, so far without incident (except for the occasional wet pant seat). Heck, I never even (haven't yet?) got around to ordering new door latches (I did order the lock barrels, but that was so my ignition would match the doors when I eventually got the latches. So she doesn't even lock. Though I do have my fuel pump on an unmarked switch (for other reasons), so that would likely hamper any attempts, and I might use it in a higher risk situation.

o2batsea
03-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Thieves steal what they can sell. Usually cars get taken apart and sold for parts. Not much demand for Series Rover bits, so the likelihood of theft isn't as great as if it were a Camry. That said, simple engine immobilization is an easy way to keep it from being driven away. For petrol, just pull the white wire off the coil.
In my area, if you leave a dog in the car someone calls the cops and you are on the 6 o clock news getting arrested for animal cruelty.

east high
03-07-2014, 11:26 AM
It's a stick. You'll be fine.

lighiche
03-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Thanks to everyone for your responses. I'm reassured.

I guess I've wanted a Series truck for so long that I just assumed that everyone else does as well....

Partsman
03-07-2014, 06:31 PM
I just leave the red knob in neutral if I'm in an area where I might be concerned, but I've even gone into the store and left the truck running while I'm in there, no issues.

lighiche
03-08-2014, 06:52 AM
It's a stick. You'll be fine.

One forgets that ignorance in a thief is bliss to an owner.

cedryck
03-10-2014, 09:42 AM
I prefer the Large, bulbous, 80lb. Staffy Terriers in the car. One looks mean with cropped ears, (he is not, at all), and the other resides in back behind the dog fence. Never had anyone consider getting inside the car with the lads inside. A simple way to disable the engine, take the dizzy rotor with you in pocket.

stomper
03-10-2014, 09:54 AM
My 2 Bernese Mountain Dogs tend to attract too much attention if I leave them in the truck. Usually from some ninny who thinks I'm abusing them because they are unattended and it is too hot or too cold.

True story. I ran into the post office to mail a letter. It was a hot 90 degree summer day. I left the truck running with the dogs in the back so the AC would keep them cool. (not the Series rover obviously).

Some A**hole chewed me out for polluting the environment by leaving my vehicle at idle! You can't win around here. I blame all the Massachusetts refugees!

lighiche
03-10-2014, 10:22 AM
My 2 Bernese Mountain Dogs tend to attract too much attention if I leave them in the truck. Usually from some ninny who thinks I'm abusing them because they are unattended and it is too hot or too cold.

True story. I ran into the post office to mail a letter. It was a hot 90 degree summer day. I left the truck running with the dogs in the back so the AC would keep them cool. (not the Series rover obviously).

Some A**hole chewed me out for polluting the environment by leaving my vehicle at idle! You can't win around here. I blame all the Massachusetts refugees!

My lab would remain asleep in the back while the car was being jacked, to wake up upon arrival at the new owners' home just happy to be somewhere that involved a ride in the car.

lighiche
03-10-2014, 10:26 AM
... take the dizzy rotor with you in pocket.

That so far is my most likely route.

80 pounds of Staffordshire terrier...? Is that for one or both? Or are you completely serious when you write "bulbous"....?

cedryck
03-10-2014, 12:59 PM
I am completely serious, they each weigh in at 80lbs. Bulbous to say the least, They are stout and sturdy english breed with a fantastic reputation for compliance, and confidence, as well as an intimidating look which is to say the least my favorite part of their car alarm quality.

Cevan
03-10-2014, 02:59 PM
No security here. If it gets stolen, I'm $20,000 richer.

NC_Mule
03-10-2014, 06:15 PM
I just leave the red knob in neutral if I'm in an area where I might be concerned, but I've even gone into the store and left the truck running while I'm in there, no issues.

I like this idea, its going to take someone with Series experience to realize what's going on. It will start, go into gear, let the clutch out, it sounds like something is going on down below.....by then the punk kids will get scared that it's taking too long and bail.

pb

Partsman
03-10-2014, 10:35 PM
I like this idea, its going to take someone with Series experience to realize what's going on. It will start, go into gear, let the clutch out, it sounds like something is going on down below.....by then the punk kids will get scared that it's taking too long and bail.

pb
I figure if they actually manage to get it into gear(1st gear I mean), they'll be so elated that they got that far, they wouldn't even realize they aren't moving for a minute, then they'll be so scared ****less of gettiing caught in the truck they just "broke" that they'd just bolt and find easier prey somewhere else. Most modern young punks don't know enough about our very manual vehicles to figure out anything about all of the extra knobs.

clsolis
03-10-2014, 10:51 PM
I have a hard enough time getting the thing going, pretty sure no one is stealing it. Also it's sandglow, slow, and usually has my 90# black lab in it who doesn't like strangers getting close (if he is awake). And it's not like if it was stolen I would notice if the thief "trashed it"

cedryck
03-12-2014, 01:44 PM
If you are not privy to large dogs, or pedal boxes, there is that red key thing I see in many rovers, I thinks it is just an inline turn off switch, lots of europeans use the steeringwheel cover lock and pedal locks, seems like it is pretty popular thing to do over there, nick a rover,

Partsman
03-12-2014, 07:34 PM
If you are not privy to large dogs, or pedal boxes, there is that red key thing I see in many rovers, I thinks it is just an inline turn off switch, lots of europeans use the steeringwheel cover lock and pedal locks, seems like it is pretty popular thing to do over there, nick a rover,

From what I've heard from my friends in the UK, Land Rovers are usually stolen to use in smash and grab robberies, as they are by far the most solid vehicle around for crashing through a store wall.

greenmeanie
03-13-2014, 02:12 AM
Nothing to do with solidity other than they are a 4wd. It's because they are by far and away the easiest 4wd drive to steal. They don't have airbags to go off in your face either for a minor convenience in the eyes of the smash and grab crowd.

mearstrae
03-13-2014, 03:07 PM
I have the Hella Master Switch mounted to the seat box (with the Red Key), and my steering column is the newer style with steering lock ignition switch. But really, if someone wants your Rover they can always just winch it onto a flatbed and be gone, so any theft device can be delt with later.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone but not forgotten)
'75 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

RoveoJuliet
03-13-2014, 04:01 PM
From what I've heard from my friends in the UK, Land Rovers are usually stolen to use in smash and grab robberies, as they are by far the most solid vehicle around for crashing through a store wall.

An aluminum body is the most solid vehicle for smashing into a wall? A Lorry would be better unless the smasher is an Inspector Clouseau type. :D I was assuming someone would steal a Rover for parts?

Partsman
03-13-2014, 06:38 PM
An aluminum body is the most solid vehicle for smashing into a wall? A Lorry would be better unless the smasher is an Inspector Clouseau type. :D I was assuming someone would steal a Rover for parts?

Not the aluminum body, but the very heavy steel frame, much more solid than Uni-body construction for crashing through a wall.

greenmeanie
03-14-2014, 12:58 PM
Not the aluminum body, but the very heavy steel frame, much more solid than Uni-body construction for crashing through a wall.
Try crashing one through a wall ad you'll discover the flaw in that argument.

Partsman
03-14-2014, 10:09 PM
Try crashing one through a wall ad you'll discover the flaw in that argument.
I have no intentions of crashing one into a wall, I like having teeth.

SafeAirOne
03-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Not the aluminum body, but the very heavy steel frame...

I'm not sure if the term "heavy", especially with the adverb "very" before it, is the word I'd choose when describing our 14 gauge sheet steel box chassis'.

elmateorino
03-22-2014, 06:36 PM

Our two berners also keep the rover safe. But if someone did decide to steal the Rover, there is only one road on or off Hatteras Island, and I have the only 109"