PDA

View Full Version : Backing Up

lighiche
03-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Does anyone have a good solution to lighting the path in reverse?

I'd like to go vintage, with a Lucas 494, but not sure where I'd mount it.

I know there are large, modern work lamps that mount up high, but I'm not really interesting in penetrating the skin and I know there are wobble issues.

I recognize that mounting it down low under the rear cross member I risk losing the lamp.

Bracket above the license plate lamp? Has anyone done this? If so, photos please?

Thanks.

cedryck
03-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Some folks like those work style lamps on a switch to use as a reverse lamp. I have a stock small square reverse lamp, not the brightest lamp in the shed but seems to do the job.

TedW
03-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Some folks like those work style lamps on a switch to use as a reverse lamp. I have a stock small square reverse lamp, not the brightest lamp in the shed but seems to do the job.

I have the two square Lucas reverse lamps (seen in avatar photo above) - they were stock on the 1970 and newer (and likely some older) Series trucks. The problem is that they oxidize over time and become quite faint. However, one trip through the dishwasher and a gentle buffing with polishing compound brings them right back to life - very bright and effective, in my view.

Ted

o2batsea
03-10-2014, 04:03 PM
You can make a bracket from 1.5 angle stock, and attach that to the next-to-outermost tub mounting tab. You need three holes in it. Two for the tub bolts and one for the lamp. Neat, tidy, out of the way and you don't have to drill holes in anything.

lighiche
03-10-2014, 07:23 PM
You can make a bracket from 1.5 angle stock, and attach that to the next-to-outermost tub mounting tab. You need three holes in it. Two for the tub bolts and one for the lamp. Neat, tidy, out of the way and you don't have to drill holes in anything.

Like this: 9472

o2batsea
03-11-2014, 05:18 AM
Ya, like that. That one is rather spiffy, and galvanized too, looks like.

lighiche
03-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Ya, like that. That one is rather spiffy, and galvanized too, looks like.

Yeah, pretty spiffy. Found this one on the LandyZone forum. Neat.

My wiring harness has two wires already for a pair of lights. Don't know that I need/want a pair. Any thoughts?

And any recommendations for whether to have the switch in the shift tower - involving removing the floor and tunnel cover and drilling and tapping for the switch - the benefit of which is that the switch would activate automatically upon putting the truck in reverse, or having a pull/push knob on the dash?

I'm leaning toward the pull/push knob, but would be interested if someone can talk me out of it.

NC_Mule
03-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Go with push pull that way the light can function as a work light and a back up light.

pb

o2batsea
03-11-2014, 05:43 PM
I'd stay away from any solution that requires you to operate a switch. Inevitably you will forget it's on and annoy drivers behind you.

jac04
03-12-2014, 11:35 AM
I have my rear work light on a switch and use it as a reverse light. My switch has a built-in indicator light to remind me it is on. You can also wire up a LED (or other indicator lamp) in a noticeable spot, and your chances of leaving it on are slim.

Les Parker
03-12-2014, 01:28 PM
RN offers this spiffy lamp bracket

http://www.roversnorth.com/Products.aspx?gsearch=dlm113