PDA

View Full Version : Series III Battery Issues?

canyonero
03-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Hello all,
Given the 0-20F weather we have had endured for the past few months, (during which my Series has rarely started) should I take a battery voltage reading of 10.75 as a sign of a dead battery in need of replacement? Few lights come on when the key is turned, and the battery has is of indeterminate age, it was in the truck when I got it three years ago.
Thank you.

SafeAirOne
03-10-2014, 10:17 PM
http://forums.roversnorth.com/showthread.php?10857-WHIRRRRR-then-silence&p=64102#post64102

NC_Mule
03-10-2014, 10:23 PM

Another member posted this for me last month when it was -11 and I had 12ish volts and a no start condition. Below freezing and 12ish volts is a dead battery, at any temp 10.75 is a dead battery. At the sub freezing temps our basic generator charging system can't keep up. I even found a tip printed in the green bible to plug your truck into a trickle charger if under continuous freezing conditions. I'm at the end of a alternator conversion followed by a dual battery set up so I don't have trouble in cold weather again.
pb

edit: haha pretty sure SafeAirOne was the member who gave me this handy chart.

canyonero
03-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Ahhh yes, new battery it is.
Thanks all.

Another member posted this for me last month when it was -11 and I had 12ish volts and a no start condition. Below freezing and 12ish volts is a dead battery, at any temp 10.75 is a dead battery. At the sub freezing temps our basic generator charging system can't keep up. I even found a tip printed in the green bible to plug your truck into a trickle charger if under continuous freezing conditions. I'm at the end of a alternator conversion followed by a dual battery set up so I don't have trouble in cold weather again.
pb

NC_Mule
03-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Once you get a new battery make sure your charging system is up to spec or you will have another dead battery down the road.

SafeAirOne
03-11-2014, 05:54 AM

Yeah, that's the one I was searching for, but only found the other one I linked to.