PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Electrical Part???

parrie
03-11-2014, 01:02 PM
I am at the final stages of tearing down Daisey and came across this creature mounted on the bulkhead behind the speedo. As you can see in the pictures the PO has done a substantial amount of creative wiring...what a freakin mess! I am in the process of trying to trace the wiring that was connected to the creature but figured someone may be able to tell me what it is?? It does not appear to show up on any wiring diagrams so I presume it was added by one of the POs.

Wording on the cover is "Francis Searchlights" Bolton, England. Terminals are marked "A", "B" and "L". You can't see in the picture but the two silver elements actually have windings around each one and connect to each other. The top of the siver elements appear to be a set of contacts. There is another small cover on the back with the wording "Flicker Flasher"...could it possibly be an aftermarket flasher for the indicators?

RoveoJuliet
03-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Francis did make Military lights for Land Rover. When I see three terminals and coils, I think brightness or rotation control. Some sort of variable current. Someone will know exactly, I would look for signs of a floodlight or two being mounted or follow the wiring.

bugeye88
03-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Yep, Typical wiring "Rats Nest" both literal and actual, as seen in many Landys facing restore/re-wire. The switch does paper to be either a variable intensity spot light or a flashing military/MP police type warning light. Good luck.
Rob

parrie
03-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Thanks Guys...I did google Francis and it makes sense that this would be for some sort of auxillary light. I'm still trying to find my way through the rats nest and chase the wiring but there were remnants of two fog lights on the rear. The PO actually had installed a second fuse box near the battery and ran a complete second harness to the rear of the truck for several items...what a rats nest! And yes, there was actually a mouse nest in behind this mess of wiring expertise you see here. Thanks again for the input.9478

TeriAnn
03-12-2014, 12:00 AM
I don't suppose you are working on a Dormobile?

That is a light blinker unit that was used on a circuit that warned of driving off with the roof not latched down. I suppose someone might have used it for a different blinking warning light.

Have you followed the wires to see where they go?

parrie
03-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Hey Terri Anne...nothing gets by you! Yes, it just so happens Daisey is a '61 Dormobile. Still working to chase the wiring, the PO had spliced the wires and there were also original wires that were dead ended. I had been curious how the top alarm was wired as it does not show up on the green bible wiring diagrams. Thanks for the info!

TeriAnn
03-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Hey Terri Anne...nothing gets by you! Yes, it just so happens Daisey is a '61 Dormobile. Still working to chase the wiring, the PO had spliced the wires and there were also original wires that were dead ended. I had been curious how the top alarm was wired as it does not show up on the green bible wiring diagrams. Thanks for the info!

It happens to be documented at the bottom of my web page on lifting roofs (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/roof.html).

Terminal A goes to switched 12V
Terminal B goes to the roof up switch (Under the front roof lifting arm)
Terminal L goes to the roof up warning light on the instrument panel (The extra light you didn't what it was for)

If you are not a member you should join the Dormobile mail list. (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/emailList.html)

parrie
03-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks again Teri Anne! Been to your web page many times but guess I looked over this section. I'll be joining the mailing list ASAP!