PDA

View Full Version : 58 S1 88" general questions

Buster
03-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Going to get busy with restoration as soon as I decide I'm willing to give up driving it around! Have new foot wells, door posts, two outriggers, parabolics, and assorted other small projects. I have a standard top and would love to find a vented safari top for it if you happen to have one lying around. Also need swivel ball kits. Questions:
Why does this vendor and Paddock list only series 2 parts and beyond?
Driving question: when I spend any amount of time at constant speed with my foot in one position on the throttle, I get a cramp in my shin from having to hold my toe up at that angle. In any other vehicle i would slide the seat back but, .......Anyone else experience this and have a solution? (I'm 6'0")

darbsclt
03-13-2014, 08:44 AM
... In any other vehicle i would slide the seat back but,

Have you tried seat risers?... (http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=EXT010-5LH&type=0)
Alternatively I found that simply getting new, firmer seat bottom cushions (deluxe) helped tremendously.

Because of the rear bulkhead, I believe all other options (bulkhead removal and bracing) will be prohibitive.
Of course you could always trade in for a 109 - they have 2 or 3 additional inches in the cab. (Kidding! - I'd never swap my 88!)

stomper
03-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Series 1 Rover parts are incredibly hard to source. Your first call should be to pangolin4x4.com for any parts you need in the series 1 realm. I am not familiar with the interchangeability of parts, but I am sure others with that knowledge will chime in.

east high
03-13-2014, 11:30 AM
I get a cramp in my shin when I'm driving with taller lace up boots. This is in my SII and I'm 6' 2". It is what it is. Keep driving, you'll find a comfortable position.

utahseries
03-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Swivel parts are pretty much interchangeable from at least 1953 through series III (with the exception of V8).. If you're in them to any degree, make sure they are converted to railco bushings.. If it hasn't been converted it is a pretty straightforward process... And as for the Station Wagon roof.. It'll be a process to find one.. I ended up looking for 3 years before I found one (minus the vents and sun shield)... And even then I had to buy the rover it was attached to because they wouldn't part it out!

Buster
03-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Thanks friends. Another question- since the electrical system has been modified many things may not work as they should. What should the lights on the main panel indicate? The only one working is the red on the lower left. Any time the engine is running its on.

utahseries
03-14-2014, 02:48 PM
The lower left light should in fact be green... It is the low oil pressure light... The top/middle light should be red (low charge)... The bottom right light should be yellow???? I got my rover without the lens over the light.. That is the mixture light (if the choke is out too long)..... Have you picked up the parts manual? I view it as an amazingly valuable resource... Along with the Land Rover Series One Club forum (LRSOC.com)

Buster
03-14-2014, 05:22 PM
Interesting! Actually, I should have given you more information. It's not the original motor. Based on the fact that there is no serial number on the engine block in the normal location and it has a Weber 32 34DMTL, I believe it's a 2.25 petrol from a 90. I can't find an oil pressure sensor, and the PO put a voltmeter up above the panel. How does it sense mixture? In any case, I still have a lot of work to do just figuring out what will fit. (The axles are Series 2a and the transmission S3 with a Fairey Overdrive.) Frankenstein. What are the two lights vertically mounted on the upper left?

REDrum
03-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Welcome to "the club" Buster. I also have a '58

Lucky you don't have the OEM 2.OL engine, its taken me almost a year for me to source all the rebuild parts for it. If you get into a bind on (non engine) parts LMK, my mechanic has (3) SI parts trucks we use to cobble together whole trucks. Our next "roverhauled" truck will be a '56 86.

Cheers!

utahseries
03-19-2014, 01:51 PM
If the carb is on the passenger side (LHD), then it's a 2 liter.. The 2.25s all have their carbs on the drivers side. The oil pressure sensor will be electric... It is usually around the oil filter housing... As far as I can remember. And as for those two lights, I have no idea. From the factory those were positive and negative plug ins for accessories.

utahseries
03-19-2014, 01:55 PM
The oil pressure sensor will look something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-AC-OIL-PRESSURE-SWITCH-LAND-ROVER-SERIES-1-2-/160627667315

siii8873
03-19-2014, 04:00 PM
for a 2.0 the oil sensor (for green idiot light) is at back bottom left of the engine at supply end of feed pipe for the rockers. For 2.25 at filter housing.

Buster
03-31-2014, 09:28 PM
Here is the old sensor. I need to check and see if it has electrical power. Pretty sure it's kaput.

Tsmith
04-01-2014, 11:03 AM
The Land Rover Series One Club is a good source for parts and information....all in the UK. Many parts seem interchangeable until you get to the Whitworth threaded part.

Buster
04-21-2014, 11:50 AM
My rear frame member isn't totally shot, but has it's share of rust and rot. Rover's North has the kit - my main question is will it fit?

Well that was fun but enough rhyming. They have the rear frame member for the s2-s3 88" which looks exactly like my s1 88. I doubt they changed it, the dimensions are probably the same, any thoughts before I purchase it?

meatblanket
04-21-2014, 01:00 PM
They aren't the same. A Series 2 is a few inches wider than a Series 1. There may be other differences, but that's the most obvious.

UnfrozenCaveman
04-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Listen to Meat. Call Ike at Pangolin. Sign up on LRSOC.

'53 80" in my garage