PDA

View Full Version : New owner questions: the chronicle thread

80sailor
03-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Ok, I'm new to Series trucks and I plan on asking lots of questions. I promise I'll use the search function first to the best of my ability, but thus begins the thread.

So, I have a 1973 Series 3 88 that is actually in pretty great shape. There are just some niggling things to be addressed at the moment.

in the "is this normal or should I do something" category: There is a light but persistent smell of gasoline inside. Might there be a leak that needs attention?

Next, he brakes squeak/squeal a decent amount. Normal or is there a remedy? Pedal feel is good and it stops fine.

Last for now, the wipers don't work. I turned them on, they worked. Turned them off. Later turned them on again later, no work. Not even the sprayer (do they even need this?). I'm thinking the switch is the likely culprit but open to thoughts.

thanks for all the help. I'll be back.

NC_Mule
03-15-2014, 04:32 PM
Ok, I'm new to Series trucks and I plan on asking lots of questions. I promise I'll use the search function first to the best of my ability, but thus begins the thread.

So, I have a 1973 Series 3 88 that is actually in pretty great shape. There are just some niggling things to be addressed at the moment.

in the "is this normal or should I do something" category: There is a light but persistent smell of gasoline inside. Might there be a leak that needs attention? Not normal, gas tank is under the right seat, I would look for a leak.

Next, he brakes squeak/squeal a decent amount. Normal or is there a remedy? Pedal feel is good and it stops fine.
If they stop fine I would put it on the back burner.[/COLOR]

Last for now, the wipers don't work. I turned them on, they worked. Turned them off. Later turned them on again later, no work. Not even the sprayer (do they even need this?). I'm thinking the switch is the likely culprit but open to thoughts.Pull the wires off the switch and take a look at a wiring diagram, see if you are getting power all the time. Sounds like a switch.

thanks for all the help. I'll be back.

Contractor
03-16-2014, 11:34 AM
I think that the wipers are one of the few things that are actually fused. Look under the steering column and you will see several fuses (under a Cover if it's still there).......check them too.

cedryck
03-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Leaking fuel would leave a spot under truck. Venting fuel may cause a smell inside truck, o ring on gas cap can be bad, and smells at filler cap. Leaking tank would spot your driveway or garage. The original seamed tanks did leak, eventually and needed replacement.

SafeAirOne
03-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Didn't some of the later SIII's have a charcoal canister for emission control somewhere in the cab or just below it?