PDA

View Full Version : Clutch seized after sitting 30 years... pulling out today. Any advice once on bench?

GeniusAndHisAssistant
03-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Moving forward with our project - we were rebuilding clutch hydraulics last night but when we went to move the arm at clutch housing found it was seized inside. Arm seems free but disc won't move inside to free up. If anyone has been in the box with a frozen clutch we would love any insight. Is marvel mystery oil bad for the disks? We are hoping to free it up this way and salvage any parts we can. Economics dictate we rebuild any parts we possibly can so we need to separate without damage. The Rover only has 60,000 miles on it so the clutch should be fine if we can get it apart in one piece. We have the manual - but welcome advice from anyone with experience.

Thanks!

Jay and Ebben.

o2batsea
03-16-2014, 08:49 AM
All you need is the FAQ, and/or Google:
http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/Drivetrain.stuckclutch.html

GeniusAndHisAssistant
03-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Thank you so much for the great tips! I think that will probably do it. We Won't be able to try that for a few weeks due to having so much apart right now. We''ll let you know how that goes. I feel much better thinking that we MAY not have to go in as deep as I thought last night. Again - GREAT ideas... and thank you very much.

J & E