I think I botched our zenith accelerator pump... can the pump be removed?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeniusAndHisAssistant
    Low Range
    • Apr 2012

I think I botched our zenith accelerator pump... can the pump be removed?

In fixing one problem on our series IIA I seem to have damaged the accelerator pump in the carb. It is a Zenith. I have the whole carb pulled apart but it does not seem possible to pull the pump out of its seating - is there any hope to fix it? It worked fine until I ran a piece of wire up into the jet, later to see in print that this was a bad idea.... ooops. One jet I pulled has a ball/spring valve which is fine. My problem seems to be at the bottom of the casting of the pump well there is another brass bushing thing that I can see from the outside. Is this also a valve? Can I access it? I think I'm looking at a new carb... darn!
  • GeniusAndHisAssistant
    Low Range
    • Apr 2012

Problem resolved. When I pushed something up through the accelerator pump well jet on the bottom (to clean it), I bumped the small ball bearing for the one-way valve up past the spring retainer. I had run out of options other than a new carb so I gathered my guts and gave the pump assembly a firm yank perfectly in-line, up and out and it popped out! Cleaned everything with emery cloth, purged, replaced ball and spring and good as new! Corrosion was the reason it would not come out by hand. Runs great now. If you have trouble with your accelerator pump don't be intimidated to pop it out and clean it. It's an easy job. Just be careful with that first pull. I learned a pump is available from RN. Good luck!

J and E

Comment

• CKubinec
      Low Range
      • Jun 2012

Congrats on the fix. Hope your taking pictures and notes for your scrap book. Chuck

Comment

Working...