PDA

View Full Version : Alignment: DIY or Pro

80sailor
03-18-2014, 01:48 PM
I'm pretty sure my rig needs an alignment. When I look at my truck from the front, it looks rather pigeon toed.

I know, highly scientific deduction.

I kind of assume you can't just take it anywhere to get it done. Is this something people are doing themselves? Or are you taking it to the stealership? Local mechanic?

Just curious.

SafeAirOne
03-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Speaking personally, I'd just do it myself, but that's just the way I am.

If you've got more money than time, then pay the $80 (or whatever an alignment costs nowadays) to have the guy check (and possibly adjust) the one and only alignment adjustment possible on these vehicles. If the guy is doing his job, you'll also get a cursory check of the swivel pins and tie rod ends as part of the process. And the hub/wheel bearings too, I suppose...anything that would impede or affect proper wheel alignment, really.

CKubinec
03-19-2014, 09:42 AM
x2 what Mark said. If you really feel the tires are pigeon toed you might have something really loose or bent. Do some research and find the "really good" and experienced alignment shop in your area. Most areas have one that are better than most and trust worthy. If you know a mechanic you trust ask him for recommendations. I would avoid the chain store shops. Go in asking them to give it a good evaluation and do the alignment if everything is mechanically sound. Good luck.

chuck

TeriAnn
03-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Speaking personally, I'd just do it myself, but that's just the way I am.

I've heard it for decades, align it yourself with some chalk and a string. Mostly the same folks say the vehicle gets unstable much above 55 MPH.

If anyone actually bothers to look at the factory workshop manual the only adjustment is toe-in and there is only 3/32 " between maximum allowable toe-in and maximum allowable toe-out. How do you get reliably within 3/32 of an inch with a string and piece of chalk?? I suppose if you stay off the freeways it doesn't matter a whole lot if the wheels are pointed the same direction.

The alignment shop will check your complete alignment including the non adjustable parts to assure your front end is within specs. If it is out of spec you know what and by how much which gives you a start for front end trouble shooting.

Series Land Rovers are rock stable at high speed with a proper alignment and proper lug centered tyre balance. Once I was driving with the traffic flow on I-70 and noticed that my GPS said I was doing 87 MPH. I let off the gas to slow to the posted 75 MPH. My Dormobile was rock steady at 87.

SafeAirOne
03-19-2014, 10:32 AM
I dunno...I did it myself several years ago. Wow, 10 years ago now...and I've got a VERY stable ride on the highway (sadly, most of my driving seems to be on the highway nowadays), though I'm getting a bit of steering play lately due to worn (non-greaseable) tie rod ends on everything.

Tire wear over the years has been a non-issue, so it IS do-able, though it is really a 2-man job. Oh, and leave the string in the drawer in the kitchen--it has no role in this job. A precise tape measure is 1000% better, though admittedly not as good as a professional's alignment rack.

I didn't use chalk either, IIRC--Just some white spray paint, a ball-point pen and an apparatus to hold the pen in the proper spot. A chalk line is way to vague.

NC_Mule
03-19-2014, 12:57 PM
+1 on the precise tape measure, after a tie rod/swivel ball job I set the toe as best as I could. Took it into the shop to have new tires mounted and they did a courtesy alignment check for me. I was spot on. They had a fancy laser rig to check the alignment but didn't have my 1970 IIA listed in the computer. I happened to have the manual under the seat so I looked up the specs. Bring your manual incase they need the specs.

pb

I dunno...I did it myself several years ago. Wow, 10 years ago now...and I've got a VERY stable ride on the highway (sadly, most of my driving seems to be on the highway nowadays), though I'm getting a bit of steering play lately due to worn (non-greaseable) tie rod ends on everything.

Tire wear over the years has been a non-issue, so it IS do-able, though it is really a 2-man job. Oh, and leave the string in the drawer in the kitchen--it has no role in this job. A precise tape measure is 1000% better, though admittedly not as good as a professional's alignment rack.

I didn't use chalk either, IIRC--Just some white spray paint, a ball-point pen and an apparatus to hold the pen in the proper spot. A chalk line is way to vague.

o2batsea
03-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Two (wood) yardsicks rubber banded together and a sharp pencil is all you need.
put truck on flat level surface. Roll forward to be sure wheels are straight ahead. Get under truck and measure the back inside rim to rim at 9 o'clock. Strike a mark on the yardstick where the one ends on the other. Repeat on the front at the 3 o'clock. Observe difference between the marks on the yardstick. Loosen tie rod clamps and rotate tie rod to move toe in or out, depending. Repeat process until alignment is correct.