PDA

View Full Version : Install of Diesel Pump without specialized tools?

AirmanPika
03-18-2014, 07:56 PM
I was curious how much would be impacted if I installed a used but good diesel pump to replace a supposedly weak diesel pump without the specialized alignment tools. Right now it takes me forever to start my rover (5-10 minutes)and this was attributed by the previous owner as a weak diesel pump. I got a used but supposedly working pump and now just need to install it. I don't have the specialized tools, but even with a bad alignment, would this still help in my startup and running issues? Is there a way to properly install one without such tools?

SafeAirOne
03-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Which engine? 2.25D?

Save your money and time...

Without knowing your Rover, I'd bet that non-functional heater (glow) plugs are your problem, not a "weak" pump. If the pump is so weak, how does the engine run at all? It's not as if it's getting "stronger" after ten minutes of attempting to start.

What's happening is that you're pre-warming the pre-combustion chamber air up solely by the friction of cranking along with the heat of the compressed air. This takes a LONG time to do in this weather, especially on 'loose' engines. That's the function of the heater plugs--to electrically pre-heat the combustion chamber.

2.25 diesels have a notoriously poor heater plug setup, wired in series, such that if one plug stops working, none of them work.

I think that if you get those working, you'll be able to start up after 30 seconds of glow-plugging, the way the factory intended.

SafeAirOne
03-18-2014, 09:18 PM
Oh, and if you do have a 2.25D, then it looks as if all you need to do is make sure the #1 piston is 13 degrees BTDC on the COMPRESSION stroke, using the marks on the flywheel and by observing the #1 cyl valves, then install the pump by aligning the master spline on the pump with the master spline on the drive.

Nobody has one of those timing tools nowadays. Everyone seems to time it by trial and error (no smoke AND no knock under load).

antichrist
03-19-2014, 06:37 AM
And if it is your glow plugs there are kits to replace them with the later parallel type.

AirmanPika
03-21-2014, 05:22 PM
OK thanks. I already have one of the new glow plug kits and had similar thoughts. I was just thinking ahead in case it didn't work since I have the spare pump. It is the 2.25D. I plan to install those today or tomorrow so we shall see.

AirmanPika
03-21-2014, 11:59 PM
Well looks like it was at least partially the plugs. Still took me about 60 seconds to get started up but that could be because I have only run the thing 3 times in the last 2 years also.