PDA

View Full Version : Bellhousing removal

n6zt
06-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Hello...Are there any tips for the removal and re-fitting of the bellhousing to the gearbox? I need to do a swap from a 4 cyl to 6 cyl b-housing and would appreciate any help you may have. Thanks

daveb
06-16-2007, 09:54 AM
is the gearbox out of the car? SIII or SIIa? (the type of bellhousing, not the car itself...)

generally speaking it is easier out of the car. be careful with the layshaft, if you try to force the bellhousing you can damage the layshaft rear bearing which is a right unholy bitch if you have to change the outer race

when you are removing teh bellhousing, stick your finger through the hole in the layshaft front bearing to catch the layshaft constant speed gear and cone shaped distance piece. read the manual and you will see what I mean.

replace any of the front end seals or bearings that seem at all dodgy. you can pull the layshaft and see the state of all the gear tooth surfaces, see if any of them are pitted or excessively worn. if so then decide if further rebuilding is in order. better to only have to go in once...

oh, replace the front mainshaft/input shaft bearing as a matter of course. its a little roller bearing about 1 1/4" diameter.

rgrds
dave in dc

Hello...Are there any tips for the removal and re-fitting of the bellhousing to the gearbox? I need to do a swap from a 4 cyl to 6 cyl b-housing and would appreciate any help you may have. Thanks