PDA

View Full Version : Question Starter Not Engaging??? Help or Tips

Arrington
03-22-2014, 10:45 AM
I have a 1961 land rover that I am trying to get started. I put the battery in and pushed starter button and starter spins good but does not seem to be engaging the flywheel. Any tips on what to do? It has been sitting is storage since 1985. I did not know if the starter needed to be cleaned or solenoid needed to be checked. I figured it my just been hung up for sitting for so long and needed to be cleaned or tapped around on. The motor is not locked up i can turn the motor over by hand so that part is good. I am trying to get this old rover started and running today. Thanks

mearstrae
03-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Take out the starter and clean the "Bendix" (the moving part of the starter gear). It's an electro-magnetic operated lever and sleeve with the gear on it, that moves in and out of the ring gear on the flywheel. A little WD-40 should free it up, and after it's free put some grease on the moving parts.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

NickDawson
03-22-2014, 06:56 PM
Take out the starter and clean the "Bendix" (the moving part of the starter gear).

I second this suggestion. Sometimes you can confirm a slippery or stuck Bendix by tapping the starter with a broom handle or rubber mallet while turning the key. Well, might take two people, but...

Used to happen to me with my old starter quick often. Eventually I had to buy a new starter for other reasons. But I can remember that thing getting gunked up, full of grease.

Arrington
03-22-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys, trying to get it ready to sell.