PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bulkhead Brackets to Bed ??

ShootingCar
03-23-2014, 08:06 AM
I am installing a new Tuffy Security Tool Box in the bed of my 88 up against the back of the rear bulkhead. But there are the three galvanized brackets that connect the rear bulk head to the bed and frame of the truck. I assume that they are there to stiffen the bulkhead and bed to the frame. I am wondering if I could have a piece of stiff stainless steel angle say L4x4x1/4"xthe width of the bed to install tight into the corner of the bulk head to the bed to replace these galvanized sheet metal brackets. I could also fab the angle with triangular gusset plates at the ends that could attach to wheel wells at the ends if that would help. What do you guys think?

thanks,
Jeff

ignotus
03-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Jeff,

If I see in my head right your picture is of the inside of the tub? IIRC those 2 brackets are for seatbelt mounting and may be bolted thru the floor to the frame. The tub itself is bolted underneath on some frame tabs. No stiffening of the seat bulkhead involved(that's done by the capping on top). If you have seatbelts you need something for the inner mounting. Just a bolt thru the aluminum is not enough.
If my brain pic is wrong......"move along, these are not the droids you seek.".

HTH
gene

ShootingCar
03-23-2014, 03:35 PM
Hi Gene there are four of these brackets. I am not up on posting photos anymore. But they maybe for the seat belts as you say. Do they do anything else for the stiffness of the truck. I am still thinking the angle may be a good idea as I have a couple of holes in the bed and wheel well there.