PDA

View Full Version : Oil Temperature

Jim-ME
06-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Try this on for size. If I am able to locate an electrical oil temperature gauge sending unit does anyone think I could hook it up the the water temperature gauge in my dash cluster? I currently have a dual mechanical oil pressure/water temp gauge so the cluster gauge is sitting there doing nothing. In theory it should work but in reality heaven only knows.
Jim

jac04
06-16-2007, 08:00 AM
In theory, sure, if you have the right sending unit. But, IIRC, the cluster water temp gauge doesn't have any actual temp. markings on it (or does it?). If you don't know the actual oil temperature, I'm not sure how much good it will do for you (other than provide a comparative reading).

Autometer gauges are inexpensive and fairly accurate, so I would suggest going that route.They also have excellent customer service, and parts are easy to get.

Terrys
06-16-2007, 08:23 AM
These are the sort of 'personalizations' I do too. They may not aid in the most usefull information, but are fun.
Some things you need to investigate:
Does the corresponding guage used with the Oil temp sender have the same internal resistance as the no-longer used water temp guage?
Does the oil temp sender have a corresponding resistance range as a water temp sender?
Where are you going to insert the sender? Oil pan, or at the pump.
What range of oil temp is normal vs. high?

Differences in the internal guage resistance range can be compensated for by shunting (putting in parallel) an additional resistor, or series connecting a resistor (linearity will be affected).

I, too, put a 'butterfly' guage in my '71 2A. It isn't correct for the year, as it would have been for older 2As, but is much more useful, and reliable than the electric OP guage and electric water temp guage.

Jim-ME
06-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Yes I know and may have to put in an additional resistor. The oil temp gauge I have seen on Ebay does not have actual temperature but is marked as the cluster temp gauge.
http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/97/15/6579_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-ROVER-SERIES-MILITARY-OIL-TEMPERATUR-GAGE_W0QQitemZ250129922401QQihZ015QQcategoryZ10076 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting)

I wish Ike or Marc would chime in as I'll bet they have the answer to my question.
Jim

siiirhd88
06-16-2007, 06:45 PM
On my TR-3 I welded the water temp sender fitting from an AH Sprite cylinder head into the side of the oil pan, and used a standard Series type water temp sender connected to a generic Smith's water temp gauge, with an oil pressure guage outer face. The gauge reads C______H, with OIL above. It works excellent. If I had space for the extra gauge I would do the same thing on the wife's 109.....

Bob

Jim-ME
06-17-2007, 05:33 AM
Since I have an electric water temp sender that I took out when I installed the mechanical unit I'll give that a whirl. It sould be fairly easy to find the adapters I need to hook it up to where the old mechanical oil temp gauge sender is. Thanks to all for their insight.
Jim