PDA

View Full Version : How slow is too slow?

80sailor
03-23-2014, 06:25 PM
I believe my 88 to be underperforming in the speed department.

It has a 2.25 petrol Turner remanufactured engine that's got about 20k on it. Zenith carb and overdrive, too. On a flat highway the best I can do is just about 60mph. Hit a hill and I'm down to 50ish. Downhill with a tailwind I'm good for 65 or so. It's concerning enough that it makes me very Leary of getting on the highway with cars doing 70+ coming up behind me.

I'm wondering if the carb could be holding me back. Either there's a problem with it or it's dirty or something. The truck seems to run fine. Decent idle speed but with just a bit of up and down, but doesn't stall or cut off.

I've also noticed that my fuel pump leaks a bit, but I have a hard time believing that's the issue. The engine just seems to run out of air/gas at higher speeds.

Would love peoples thoughts on where to start to remedy this. I don't intend to do an engine swap. Would consider a new carb (Webber?) for sure. Maybe even a new head /cam if it really made sense.

thanks for the help.

NickDawson
03-23-2014, 07:10 PM
I have the rare 2.5L petrol engine and am hard pressed to do more than 65. Although I'm not sure if the engine is limiting me, or the pucker factor. Frankly, the idea of doing 60 mph in a piece of aluminum foil without a roof, or roll cage, and with a steel steering column inches from my chest scares the heck out of me. :)

flighht2k5
03-23-2014, 07:14 PM
In my Unimog I usually cruise 45 to 50. I put a triangle on the back and just cruise in the right lane.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

stomper
03-23-2014, 07:38 PM
That sounds about right for 2.25 performance. With a few adjustments and a tune-up, you may get another 5mph out of your flat top speed, but aside from that, this is what you signed up for by buying an old Land Rover.

Stay in the right lane on the highway, and let them pull out to pass you. The phrase "slow down and smell the roses" always comes to mind when I drive the rover after a modern car for a while.

darbsclt
03-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Would love peoples thoughts on where to start to remedy this. I don't intend to do an engine swap. Would consider a new carb (Webber?) for sure. Maybe even a new head /cam if it really made sense.
thanks for the help.

With the caveat that I am fairly new to series vehicles... I'll run down the list of "improvements" that my PO completed. They seem to be pretty standard in the "How to get the most out of your 2.25 petrol engine handbook"...

- Rochester Carb
- 9:1 comp head
- 2.5L Cam
- K&N Air Filter

Since these were all completed by the time I found "Gracie"... I have no basis of comparison against previous performance.
What I have added & plan on adding...

Completed...
- Pertronix Electric ignition (it might be my imagination, but the engine seems smoother/peppier)

This Week...
- Swapping out my 15" wheels/tires (29"dia) for 16" wheels/tires (32"dia) - with ~10" extra travel/rotation the engine will hopefully top out at a slightly higher speed.
(note: 16" wheels were optional for NADA 88's & my speedo was originally calibrated for 16's)

Future (when needed)...
- Swap out my existing exhaust system for a larger diameter, less restrictive system.
(note: I believe that I read this on a post from TerriAnn, who has a great summary of engine modifications on her site... http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/engine_conversions.htm)

Good Luck & Have fun tinkering!

stomper
03-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Just a quick thought I had last night. Do you have free wheel hubs on the front of your truck? Keeping them unlocked while on the highway seems to add about 5mph to your top end speed also. Don't know if this is part of your dilemma.

bugeye88
03-24-2014, 09:57 AM
I agree with darbsclt on upgrades for a bit more power. Most of it boils down to get air in and get exhaust out. The carbs of choice for me have been Rochester (properly jetted and tuned for your altitude) or the Weber 34 ICH, K+N filter, 8:1 or 9:1 head, 2.5 cam (I need to do that), fix that fuel pump and add a in line switchable electric after the manual pump, tune the hell out of it. Prepare for mind numbing acceleration. ;)

Revtor
03-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Ive got a 2.25, 7:1, Zenith, 235/75/16 (29") tires. I can hit 60 on the highway, with the OD engaged. Pretty much max. (That I want to rev it at least) Id say you're doing fine, 2.25 wise.

That speed is more than enough for highway travel. Get out there and cruise! 55 stay alive, let everyone else cruise by and stare.

~Steve

bugeye88
03-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Right on Revtor!

80sailor
03-24-2014, 10:53 AM
Ok, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. I know I signed up for slow and noisy. Just wanted to make sure I was getting my money's worth.

Thanks all.

LaneRover
03-25-2014, 11:28 AM
69 109 p-up with an overdrive, military re-built 2.25 16" rims and a rochester and I easily cruise at 65 on the highway and 70 wasn't unheard of.

bugeye88
03-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Hills are another thing though....:rolleyes:

Rob
Bugeye88

LaneRover
03-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Hills are another thing though....:rolleyes:

Rob
Bugeye88

Yes . . . yes they are . . . depends on the hill of course.
Florida hills? Not much problem!
Colorado 'hills' I got down to about 30mph

bugeye88
03-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Yep. I live at 7200 ft. and occasionally travel to Salt Lake which is 4200 ft. Going down is harrowing but I keep it down to 60-65. Going up I can go 40-45... 50 with a tail wind, with the Bugeye in 3rd overdrive. Not too bad. The engine is a 2.5 with 8:1 head, 34 ICT Weber, K+N and good tune. On the Flats.... mind numbing acceleration......:p

Rob
68 Bug Eye 88 Nellie Belle

TeriAnn
03-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Ok, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. I know I signed up for slow and noisy. Just wanted to make sure I was getting my money's worth.

The best way to check to see if you are getting your money's worth is to have someone press the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold it there (engine off) while you check to see if the linkage has opened the throttle all the way. Also if your timing is not advanced enough you will not be getting all the power you paid for. Either way a caution, slow moving vehicle sign is not out of order.

I had your power problem for the first 21 years I drove my truck. I solved it with a Ford 5.0. I now have more power at idle that the 2.25 had at peak and with some higher gearing have no problem keeping up with traffic in a 75 MPH zone. Oh, and I ended up with better fuel mileage :D

sleam
03-27-2014, 07:26 PM
So Teriann - would you rebuild mine for me then??? A 72 with a 2.25 engine! And yes, I made a sticker for the back that says "I'm going as fast as I can!"

badvibes
03-28-2014, 01:44 AM
Hey there! Nice to see another NM Series running around. Shoot a PM if you are ever in the Alb area. Apologies for the hijack...

Jeff

TeriAnn
03-28-2014, 06:41 PM
So Teriann - would you rebuild mine for me then??? A 72 with a 2.25 engine! And yes, I made a sticker for the back that says "I'm going as fast as I can!"

I'm willing to teach you how to do it and help with any heavy lifting. People usually retain more by doing. Your tools this time. My parts washer is broken.

PeterK
03-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Almost in keeping with the thread.
I'm thinking of driving the Blue Ridge Parkway northbound in the next few weeks.
I know the grades are crazy but I'm wondering more about the tolerance level of other drivers.
Have any of you been through in a Series? Are there lots of passing lanes?
I have more power than stock but I'm also towing.

Cheers
Peter

darbsclt
03-29-2014, 07:10 AM
I know the grades are crazy but I'm wondering more about the tolerance level of other drivers.
Have any of you been through in a Series? Are there lots of passing lanes?

Cheers
Peter

First of all... it's a beautiful drive and wonderful scenery - you'll really enjoy it!

The max speed on the parkway is 45, and it drops to 25 in some areas. It's also well patrolled to discourage speeders. Whenever I've been on the parkway, I've found most drivers respectful; but there will always be jerks out there. Fortunately, however, the BRP's status as a "National Parkway" means it is a route better suited for sightseers rather than thrill seekers. Besides, well known speed-routes are close by (like "The Devil's Tail").

That said... the steep grades and hairpin turns will make for a challenging drive in a series. There are no gas stations on the parkway... so plan accordingly. There are plenty of "Scenic Overlook" pull offs to give you and your series a break. On the longer, straighter, steeper grades you'll have passing lanes. If you haven't already done so, check out the BRP website:

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

They have plenty of resources/maps to help you plan a trip.

Enjoy!

Chuck

PeterK
03-29-2014, 07:38 AM
Thanks Chuck,
That's encouraging, I've been on the site as well as a few cycling sites to research the grades. But until I actually hit the hills I don't really know what speeds I can maintain.
I'll report back

Cheers
Peter

Revtor
03-29-2014, 08:39 AM
I did the BRP from Shenandoah (north) until we got to NC and had to turn around. Lots of hills and grades, yep. And I think the southern part was supposed to be even more so?

Mine's a 7:1 2.25, all stock except an OD. We had no trouble with speed, most of the time we were zipping right along and all the pull offs helped relieve pressure from others behind a few times. As mentioned above it is a senic route so most people are on there looking at the views (just like we were). I don't remember any time feeling rushed.

Most of the serious grades we encountered off the parkway were two lane so we would just park it in the right lane and let others floor it right past us..

Look out for the FOG!! The OD is a godsend not only on upgrades, but keeping the engine braking in the right range.

~Steve
9563 9564

Escargo
03-29-2014, 10:46 AM
As a series owner who drives mine almost daily, I feel making these relics go faster is wrong on several levels. I also have the insight that being in a bad wreck, in a modern vehicle, can give one. Two words: Air Bags, I wouldn't be writing this without them. My advice is to drive your series when not in a hurry. If you're always running late, you'll start to hate your truck. Drive it how it was meant, enjoy it for what it is. Of course, this is America and you have the privledge to take whatever risks you can want....