PDA

View Full Version : Rear Drawer System

toga Rover
03-23-2014, 11:01 PM
Does anyone have a drawer in the back of their series? Home made or purchased? I've seen them offered by ARB and a few other companies in AU and the UK for jeeps, discos, and land cruisers.

i think it would be handy storage, and a lockable option for keeping stuff from walking from our trucks.

Here is one in the back of a defender in the UK.
http://www.mudsport.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/img0276.jpg

o2batsea
03-24-2014, 07:03 AM
Tuffy (http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-127-rear-cargo-security-drawer.aspx) makes one too.

SafeAirOne
03-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Here is one in the back of a defender in the UK.

Yikes! Not the most elegant-looking one I've seen.

I've designed one for my wife's FJ Cruiser and have the ability to adapt the design to fit the tub of my 109, should I ever go that route. I'm in the process of building the CNC machine to make it. It'll be little (OK, a LOT) easier on the eye than the one in the link (and will be more functional too):

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2843/13381251333_23017e9f77_z.jpg

stomper
03-24-2014, 09:56 AM
So is the plan to get your wife into the expedition lifestyle working Mark? It's either that, or you are prepping her FJ to your own specifications so it's ready for when you take it over! :cool:

SafeAirOne
03-24-2014, 12:44 PM
So is the plan to get your wife into the expedition lifestyle working Mark?

Ha! That FJ will never see anything under it's wheels but the mall parking lot.

Revtor
03-24-2014, 01:11 PM

1/2" plywood, glued and nailed together + bins from Walmart, fitting perfectly. A long bin like this and a half length bin fit per side. I have one side with a long bin holding rope, tools, tarp, misc and the short bin holds my camp kitchen stuff. The other side gets no bins, but gets shovel, folding saw, hatchet, axles and folding chairs..

simple cheap. bolt it down though so its solid in case of an emergency. (Gotta say it for safety, right)

mine is painted the same color as the bodywork back there, and when half covered with typical rover junk, you cant even tell that there is a shelf in there.

Then only thing I notice, is that the contents of the bin get HOT and subsequently damp from condensation. not sure if this is a my rover thing or an all rovers thing, but just wanted to mention it. Exhaust pipes underneath I guess?

~Steve

stomper
03-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Just switch sides with the bins and the shovel, axles etc. Steve. That should solve it!

Revtor
03-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Ha!! great solution James.. DUH!

~Steve

sleam
03-24-2014, 05:00 PM
That's how I did mine too, a plywood top and sides and containers underneath. I built it to be the same height as the side bench seats and threw a dog bed on top. Perfect for critters and camping gear! 9548

1/2" plywood, glued and nailed together + bins from Walmart, fitting perfectly. A long bin like this and a half length bin fit per side. I have one side with a long bin holding rope, tools, tarp, misc and the short bin holds my camp kitchen stuff. The other side gets no bins, but gets shovel, folding saw, hatchet, axles and folding chairs..

simple cheap. bolt it down though so its solid in case of an emergency. (Gotta say it for safety, right)

mine is painted the same color as the bodywork back there, and when half covered with typical rover junk, you cant even tell that there is a shelf in there.

Then only thing I notice, is that the contents of the bin get HOT and subsequently damp from condensation. not sure if this is a my rover thing or an all rovers thing, but just wanted to mention it. Exhaust pipes underneath I guess?

~Steve

JimCT
03-24-2014, 08:37 PM
That's how I did mine too, a plywood top and sides and containers underneath. I built it to be the same height as the side bench seats and threw a dog bed on top. Perfect for critters and camping gear! 9548

Just make sure it is all bolted down. All that stuff becomes projectiles if you have the misfortune to roll the truck. Personal experience here.

toga Rover
03-29-2014, 07:29 AM
That looks great. Access from the top or the pull drawer. Let me know if you give the Rover version the green light. I'd put down for a 2nd one for my 109. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Yikes! Not the most elegant-looking one I've seen.

I've designed one for my wife's FJ Cruiser and have the ability to adapt the design to fit the tub of my 109, should I ever go that route. I'm in the process of building the CNC machine to make it. It'll be little (OK, a LOT) easier on the eye than the one in the link (and will be more functional too):

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2843/13381251333_23017e9f77_z.jpg