PDA

View Full Version : Exmoor high back seats for Series Rovers

tmckeon88
04-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Hi-

Does anyone have experience with putting in the Exmoor high back seats offered by our hosts? I like the idea of a head rest, but I'm debating whether the seats are comfortable, durable and will resist rips and so forth. The smaller stock seats do tear but you can replace them one piece at a time. Thinking about upgrading to the Exmoor seats if they are as good as they seem.

Thanks,'
Tom

stomper
04-04-2014, 06:16 AM
Quite a few folks who have installed them claim they are excellent for comfort. I sat in Forester's truck with them, and they seemed great. I can't speak about longevity of the materials though.

The other options are to search for the defender style seats, which are expensive, but can be found used. Seat covers are available in canvas from a few vendors, which make them practically bulletproof, or replace the seats with jeep bestop, Mazda miata, or similar.

o2batsea
04-04-2014, 06:35 AM
The other seats that bolt right in are the early defender plastic tray back seats. The later ones fit but only have one bolt hole for the seat rails instead of two.
You can't really go far wrong with the Exmoor seats. You can have them covered in any of their material.
If you are concerned with longevity, I would say that your best choice is new Defender seats direct from ExmoorUSA with Tony Brook's Kexby LTD canvas covers. Even if the seats become worn or damaged you can get recovering kits, which the high backs require that you buy an entire new seat.

Cutter
04-04-2014, 08:08 AM
I have them, comfortable and getting better with use as they break in. In terms of durability, they are par with the standard or deluxe seats. I have the stock vinyl, not sure if other options would be more robust. I haven't had any issues.

lrover109
04-07-2014, 11:20 PM
I have replaced all of mine in my 109 wagon several years ago - i have the black Outlast canvas and love them - they bolted right into the standard series seat frame

S11A
04-08-2014, 08:03 AM
I put Defender seats (by way of Exmoor) in my 109 3-door and love them. The adjustability including the recline is nice but at 6' 2" I have them all the way back all the time so I don't do any adjusting. But by taking the stock seat back brackets off I can get the seat back to go back a couple of inches farther and that is valuable space. My truck does not have the gas filler neck metal covers so I need to make sure the seat isn't slid all the way back so as to hit those (I have 2 tanks and so 2 filler necks.) I don't recall how far back the stocks seats were but am guessing I may be able to move the Defender seats back an inch or two farther than the stock ones were.

Cevan
04-11-2014, 03:01 PM
I put them in my IIA with the non-adjustable bases. I screwed into the bottom a couple of strips of 1/2 plywood (front and back) that fit between the steel base pieces. The bottoms can be pulled out easily.

redmondrover
04-12-2014, 06:45 PM
We have them in my wife's 109. Two Trakkers up front with seat heaters. Three high backs in the middle row with seat heaters in the outer seats. We are very pleased with them.