PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Issue

ducttape
06-16-2007, 08:23 PM
I recently acquired a 67 MOD 109. While installing a Hella map lamp in the dash I was searching for hot and ground wires. I wired into a relay to the right of the headlamp switch.

When I turn the lamp on the BRAKE indicator light (hand brake I assume) on the panel comes on! I didn;t even know what that was since it never came on and I couldn;t read it before.

Question is twofold.

1) does anyone know know of a quick link into a hot wire and ground for this lamp and

2) how do I get that brake dash light to come on regularly?

I'm not very electrically inclined. I can splice, etc, but theory goes over my head. Any help is appreciated

Thx
David

scott
06-16-2007, 10:50 PM
i'm guessing your's is a negative gound. if so grounding to the bulkhead would work and i'd run the posative to one of the unused post in the fuse box. use a tester to find the side of the fuse that's live only when the ingnition is on that way the light can't accidently be left on when you park and walk away

scatterling
06-17-2007, 06:04 AM
where on the panel is the "brake" light? Is it near the six way light switch? Mine has a 'brake test' light but I don't know of a light for the handbrake.

ducttape
06-17-2007, 07:19 AM
where on the panel is the "brake" light? Is it near the six way light switch? Mine has a 'brake test' light but I don't know of a light for the handbrake.

Yes, upper right on the panel. I was paraphrasing. It said brake something, I don;t recall exactly what.

The hand brake was set and when I turned the Hella lamp on the indicator lamp lit.

Surely, THAT can't be the way to test the hand brake! lol

greenmeanie
06-19-2007, 10:05 AM
If it is a black switch with a red light it is the 'Brake test' light. The light is to indicate that the shuttle valve has moved inidicating loss of pressure in one of the dual brake circuits. The switch is to test the operation of the light. It was fitted to most MOD Land Rovers but a lot of people have removed the shuttle valve as it is prone to failure itself and is a pig to reset.

Cheers
Gregor

scatterling
06-19-2007, 04:33 PM
If it is a black switch with a red light it is the 'Brake test' light. The light is to indicate that the shuttle valve has moved inidicating loss of pressure in one of the dual brake circuits. The switch is to test the operation of the light. It was fitted to most MOD Land Rovers but a lot of people have removed the shuttle valve as it is prone to failure itself and is a pig to reset.

Cheers
Gregor

....thats exactly what I was saying ! :D

The_Commander
04-01-2009, 08:32 AM
What is the reason the brake test light would stay on when accelerating, but goes off when I let off the gas?

Is this something that will cause catastrophic problems? Or should I just ignore it?

greenmeanie
04-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Well it is a brake failure warning light so I wouldn't ignore it.

First of all trace the wire from the test light to the brake switch shuttle valve. Also check your ground from the light. This allows you to eliminate a short or bad ground.

Next you need to look at the brake shuttle. This is a block with a shuttle in the middle. Both brake circuits run through the block - one on each side of the shuttle. The theory is that if you lose pressure on one circuit the valve moves making the contact for the light.

The drawback is that the shuttle can move when you are bleeding the brakes and then needs reset manually. It also prevents you having a true dual circuit brake system as one side can leak through to the other round the shuttle itself. They are generally considered more hassle than they are worth and most people just remove them and replace it with some standard connections.

There is also the outside chance you actually have a problem with your brakes and are losing pressure in one circuit. You would be smart to have a poke around and see if you can spot any leaks.

Winooski
03-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Do you have a part number on the standard connections you would recommend to replace the switch? I have also been having the Test Light illuminate when accelerating and have not found a leak, drop in brake fluid, or any noticable change in the brake function. I think the valve was not set correctly when I had the brakes serviced last and would like to just remove the switch. I have a 72 Ser. 3 109 with dual circuit brakes. I traced the wires to the switch in the right hand engine bay and all else seems to be in order. Thanks.

greenmeanie
03-25-2010, 11:52 AM
From memory your brake lines in that location are 3/16 with male connectors. Assuming that to be true then:
Connector (http://store.fedhillusa.com/p153.aspx)

IF my memory is failing me you can look around the rest of that web site and choose the connector that suits.

Winooski
03-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Great, thanks for the link!

Patrick