PDA

View Full Version : Rear Door Options on 88"

rbbailey
04-05-2014, 12:59 AM
Is it possible to set up for both a tailgate and a door to make it easy to transition? I want to use the tailgate in the summer with the soft top, but a door with the hard top.

And does anyone know where to start looking for used rear doors?

warrenperkinson
04-05-2014, 05:20 AM
Yes, you can definitely use a tailgate and a "station wagon" door on the same truck. I do so myself.

With a tailgate, the hinges will be mounted on the chassis, and all you need on the tub are two, what I believe are called, anti-luce latches either side of the rear entrance - they may already be there. You may need to install the chain mounts on either side inside the tub too.

The station wagon door has a hinge on the exterior of the tub low down and another on the hard top. Mine are on the right hand side - but we drive on the left hand side here in New Zealand so I'm not sure if that will be different if you drive on the other side.

I bought a tailgate from a wrecker. It was pretty cheap too. And I have also bought a replacement rear door from a wrecker - you'd be surprised how the shape hasn't changed. A late model defender door will fit a series. The rear doors do tend to get a bit of rust along the bottom though, so watch that.

darbsclt
04-05-2014, 07:37 AM
... does anyone know where to start looking for used rear doors?

It looks like one may be available at the "Guns & Rovers" forum... HERE (http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/showthread.php?3192-Rear-door)

You may also reach out to Les Parker from Rover's North (les@roversnorth.com) - He may have some feelers out there.

Then, of course, there is Ike at Pangolin (http://www.pangolin4x4.com/series-land-rover-parts-products/dash-instruments-controls/)

Among the above resources... craigslist... ebay... you should be able to find one here in the US. If not, however, and you don't mind a sizable shipping charge, a The UK forum The Series 2 Club (http://www.series2club.co.uk/forum/forum/) might be an option. (EDIT: there's a "free to good home" rear door posted on this forum HERE. (http://www.series2club.co.uk/forum/forum/index.php/topic,70615.0.html))

Good Luck!

Contractor
04-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Have you thought about searching for a clam shell?

Not easy to find, but IMO perfect for those of us that want to transition twice a year.

o2batsea
04-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Best of both worlds: swing out tailgate and liftgate...

Jeff Aronson
04-05-2014, 01:19 PM
I run my II-A with a safari top/rear door in the winter months and covert it to a soft top/tailgate for the "warmer" months. The rear crossmember has slots for the tailgate built right in. The tailgate latches were easy to install, as were the holding chains and their belay supports.

I bought my tailgate from Rovers North.

Jeff

rbbailey
04-05-2014, 01:53 PM
To be clear. I currently have a tailgate with the clam shell door top on the hard top. I don't like it when using the hard top.

I would like to use the tailgate just with the soft top. Then switch to the swing open door when I have the hard top on. One of the main things i'm wondering about is the lower hinge and the striking plate -- will those things need to be random bits hanging on my Rover when I'm using just the tailgate?

SafeAirOne
04-05-2014, 03:26 PM
The tailgate works with that stuff in place. I just removed my hard top/full rear door for the season and left all that stuff in place with the tailgate installed. Of course, the complete door hinges come off with the door.

This is a non-issue.

Dibsen
04-06-2014, 08:11 PM
For you guys that switch back and forth,

Is it a big task taking the hard top off? Does it require 2 people? Do you keep the roof in tack with the sides?

I would really like to take my roof off for the summer

NC_Mule
04-07-2014, 09:45 AM
I think it's a pain, should be a two man job but I have done it by myself but it's risky (hard top no windows). One false move and you drop the top on the car or blow out your back. I took mine off in one piece because I had the room to store it as a one piece item. If your short on space it helps to knock the sides off. It's something you want to do in the spring and not put it back on till the fall, not something you want to do based on the weekends weather. Yank it off and get some sort of a bikini top so you don't get soaked in the rain. I got caught a few times and you get a ton of water droplets on the inside of the windshield, lots of wiping and driving.

For you guys that switch back and forth,

Is it a big task taking the hard top off? Does it require 2 people? Do you keep the roof in tack with the sides?

I would really like to take my roof off for the summer

Tsmith
04-07-2014, 11:50 AM
I raise my hardtop from the truck in the garage with the sides installed. I have four eyehooks in the barn ceiling and have lifted it off by myself with a series of ropes, hooks and pulleys. It helps to have someone else but it can be done alone. Best to back in to the barn so the roof doesn't have to clear the windscreen when backing out. I store it on its backside below the barn. The space between the headlining and the top is a great spot for nesting vermin as you'll discover when you re-install the hardtop and turn the heater on in the fall.

REDrum
04-17-2014, 08:32 PM
Anyone seen anyone customize a half height (cut down) swing out rear door for use with soft top?

S11A
04-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Yes but I don't personally like that look:

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/Veterans/58SII_ph_rear.jpg

S11A
04-17-2014, 10:33 PM
I have seen a few regular tailgates converted to swing out:

http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/DSC00766.jpg

S11A
04-17-2014, 10:34 PM
http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/DSC01070.jpg

o2batsea
04-18-2014, 07:02 AM
My version of the swing out tailgate and upper lift gate:

Partsman
04-18-2014, 08:25 AM
I like that Bill, it looks good.

REDrum
04-18-2014, 09:13 AM

That is very sweet, exactly what I am looking to create.

o2batsea
04-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Uses anti-burst type latch. I didn't install the latch in the tailgate. If I had, I would have made the hole a bit bigger. Why not when the latch covers it anyway. That would allow easier install of the latch handle thru the door. Retains the galvanized inner plate that covers the entire inside of the tailgate. It had a D swing out tire carrier as the bolt holes are still there, so I filled them with plastic plugs that I painted body color.
Ideally I would start over with a brand new Rocky Mountain tailgate. I'd figure out a way to slide some distance pieces inside the hinge side frame, as the frame gets crushed at present with the hinge bolts. I think they could go in from the top before the steel cover plate goes on. That would substantially improve the weight carrying abilities of the door, and the small opening needed to get the spacers in there would be covered up.

luckyjoe
04-18-2014, 10:55 AM

Is that heated glass in the liftgate?

Standard size, and do you have a source?

REDrum
04-18-2014, 07:07 PM
Ideally I would start over with a brand new Rocky Mountain tailgate. I'd figure out a way to slide some distance pieces inside the hinge side frame, as the frame gets crushed at present with the hinge bolts. I think they could go in from the top before the steel cover plate goes on. That would substantially improve the weight carrying abilities of the door, and the small opening needed to get the spacers in there would be covered up.

Very good pointer, thank you. My goal, on my soft top IIA, is to move spare tire from behind seat to a Mantec type carrier with single action opening. I think your design will work great.

S11A
04-19-2014, 07:41 AM

Nice!

o2batsea
04-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Is that heated glass in the liftgate?

Standard size, and do you have a source?
Yup it's a cheapie kit from fleabay, but I installed it very carefully and it looks pretty good. Heated windscreen and both front and rear seating.