PDA

View Full Version : Any November offroading trips ?

Jorge
10-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Please post any offroad trips , us NY & NJ guys want to hit the trails before the snow hits. Will travel PA , MA , CT , VT , Have lift will travel :thumb-up:.

Tdi Guy
10-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Jorge, I am available the weekend of he 25th of Nov.. and the first weekend of Dec.. Would love to wheel before the winter sets in

AAXD
10-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Jorge, there is an event in Springfield NY this weekend.

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12256

J!m
11-08-2006, 11:07 AM
I just got back from the "Ardbeg & Mattawa Tough Trail Epic". we went rhrough a truck a day on that run... Two nasty trail locations with a bit of road between them. Excellent trail-side camping on evening one, and then some cozy cabins for evening two. A great event that I will be attending each year from now on.

A well run event by Ted Matthews. I have an article completed for LRM; however I do not know when it will run.

PM me for additional information for other upcoming events in Eastern canada and eastern US.

J!m

KevinNY
11-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Whats this event?

J!m
11-16-2006, 10:44 AM
It's a long weekend of truck-breaking with our neighbors to the north.

It started on Thursday, with some easy slick-rock meets mud bog. Truck number one was broken, with a fairly easy fix of the upper spring mounts.

Day two was more of the same, but for a much longer distance. Nearly loosing my 110 on a washing-out bridge was fun; followed by about four hours of winching. I ended up with a broken shock mount and a broken sway bar at the end of the day.

Navigational skills were strained as night fell and we were trying to find a side-trail out. Finally on the road is where I discovered my rear springs were out of their mount and rubbing the inner sidewall of the tire. That was the end of the trail riding for me... I did patch it up well enough to drive it back to CT.

The next day was the infamous '666' trail, which took its first victim after a few hundred feet. After several hours of recovery, we had to turn back as the trail just got worse and worse further in... Those who were not broken yet, decided to try another trail, and spent the remainder of the day well into the evening cutting trees and branches from the trail (with hand-saws and axes) just to get through. The trees were heavy with snow-load from the night before, and the clear trail areas were getting to be as slick as ice.

The final day was more of the same, except the snow was much deeper now as it had continued to snow all night, and yet another truck went home on a flat-bed on the final day.

It's a great event with a mainly Canadian attendance. If you go to the OVLR Birthday Party, this is not much further north than Silver Lake.