X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mkchard
    Low Range
    • Feb 2007

cylinder head rebuild

I'm getting ready to pull the head off my 72 series 3 ( 2.25 petrol ) and take it to a machine shop to get rebuilt with new valves, springs, seats, guides etc. Any tips for removing the thing without breaking off bolts would be greatly appreciated. I noticed that the gasket set that I bought from rovers north does not lnclude the freeze plugs. I assume I should probably replace them as well?
  • mearstrae
    5th Gear
    • Oct 2011

If you can, warm up the engine. Then soak down the manifold bolts (and anything else you wish to remove) with PB Blaster, let sit over night if you can or until the engine cools off. The freeze plugs usually come with the complete engine rebuild kit or can be bought seperately, just check them for soundness, they really shouldn't need changed out.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Comment

• SafeAirOne
      Overdrive
      • Apr 2008

I don't believe the freeze plugs are rover-specific. The machine shop should easily be able to source and replace them.

They also specialize in removal of broken fasteners, so you might just take the head down with the intake and exhaust manifolds still attached and let them worry about it if you think the fasteners won't come out.
      --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
      (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

Working...