PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Bleeding of brake fluid.

cedryck
04-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Saw something interesting on Youtube from a Brit who was reverse bleeding series brakes. Any one out there done this? If so, results? Thanks lads,,carry on.

woza
04-18-2014, 09:48 AM
As far as I am aware you need a vacume pump and an adaptor for the master brake cylinder that will fit on the filler cap position. Then you operate the vacume pump and this is supposed to pull all the air out of the system. I wanted to try this but could not source the adaptor so I never followed up. Maybe the surfing the web may turn up something. You can get the vacuum pump from Pep boys or any parts store.

woza
04-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Should have mentioned that the vacuum pump comes with a container and pipes to pull a vacuum on the bleeding nipple of each wheel. Bit of a PITA but it does work.

I Leak Oil
04-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Not sure what you mean by "reverse bleed". Do you mean push the fluid and air back up to the master cylinder or do you mean draw it out through vac. vs. postitive pressure?

Pushing it back toward the MC is NEVER a good idea FWIW.

cedryck
04-21-2014, 11:43 AM
This person pushed fluid from the wheel cylinder, up, to the master, so the resivour has to be empty and they stated due to the fact that air rises, that this is much more practicle way to bleed.

I Leak Oil
04-21-2014, 01:32 PM
With a currently full system you're pushing the water and other sludge back through the system though. Even with a new, dry system there is the potential to be pushing debris back into the reservoir. Just isn't a good practice in my book. To each their own though.

mearstrae
04-21-2014, 01:40 PM
Seems a long way around the block to get it done. I've mostly used the vacuum bleeders with success. But I've also used positive pressure for bleeding, this is done by making up a master cylinder cap with a shrader valve (tire valve) installed, then a hand pump (or other source) is used to slightly pressurize the MC, and then all the bleeders are opened in their turn to bleed out the air in the lines.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

NC_Mule
04-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Mighty Vac has always treated me well, use it a ton on both cars and motorcycles. Sometimes it's hard to tell if you are bleeding air from the line or air that's coming in around the bleed screw. I do 99% of the bleeding with the Mighty Vac then do a couple pumps/hold the old school way with a assistant at each corner.
I agree pushing old fluid back up to the MC is a bad idea.

pb

cedryck
04-23-2014, 12:29 PM
I use the method of top down, from under hood canister, to bleed nipples as well, and it works well. Always curious of the options too, thanks for the responses,