PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a Stage One 109

heyitsmike
04-21-2014, 04:07 PM
So I may be heading to look at an old stage one project to possibly purchase it.
I have a couple questions though...

I've been doing a ton of research on the Stage One V8 trucks for a while. This truck isn't nearly a show room model, but I've done a few restos on other vehicles. I know the front axle and driveshafts are a coveted thing among stage one owners as they're model specific... I was wondering if there was anything else out of the ordinary to look for?

Can the front axle be replaced with a defender/rr/disco I axle for ease of parts? has anyone tried that?

Also, a semi related question... Anyone have a preference on a company that will move it? It would be going from GA to MA.

Thanks guys

mearstrae
04-21-2014, 08:33 PM
My hybrid 109 (it's kind of a Stage 1) it basically has a Range Rover engine and transmission system, I call it a system because it's a one piece Lt-95 4speed (trans and transfer are one housing) with Fairy overdrive, specific to this trans. All these parts are specific to the V-8 models and can mostly be found in the UK. I imagine the early Range Rovers with leaf springs are similar (not positive). I've often considered putting Disco axles (3:54 ratio) under mine by converting the coil mounts to leaf spring mounts (and steering box mods, etc.), that way I'd get disc brakes all around that use factory parts.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

heyitsmike
04-22-2014, 12:37 AM
Well yeah. The stage one axles are 3.54 as well. My only issue would be finding parts without having to go through the uk or the aussies. I figure disco I axles may be an easier bet, wouldn't have to change any internal gearing, breaks like you said, and parts are relatively plentiful!

mearstrae
04-22-2014, 02:05 AM
I get such parts that are unavailable here, from the UK, even some parts available here (RN doesn't have many) are cheaper over there (even including the shipping). Also, I usually get my parts faster than from Calif., go figure... Aussie prices, shipping and delivery time would be ridiculous.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

rwollschlager
04-22-2014, 10:37 PM
the front axle can be replaced with a disco/rrc/defender front axle with some difficulty. The leaf spring mounts do not pose the problem, rather it is the steering linkage connecting to the coiler axle wanting to occupy the same space as the leaf spring. It may be easier to just keep the stage 1 axle at that rate. The mechanical internals can still be found in some places, as their part number cross references with an early defender (search for some threads by Slorocco, he has a stage 1-like axle under his rig). The deal breaker for the front axle would be the swivel balls, they are welded to the housing and cannot be replaced unlike the bolt-on/bolt-off series swivel balls.

Most parts are still available or a part from something else can be made to fit. My stage 1 was recently refurbished over the last 3 years and we didn't really have difficulty with any stage 1 specific parts.

That being said, I have a Fairey Overdrive for an LT95, (may be missing some pieces, may not be) that I am looking to off load. PM me if interested.

Best of luck, and post up with your findings!

-Rob