PDA

View Full Version : P38 woes

NAS110
06-17-2007, 04:58 PM
So my wife's P38 has suddenly developed a rough idle and is running poorly. I plugged my OBDII scanner (Innova 3100a) in a pulled the following info:

P0300 - random misfire detected

P0304 - cylinder 4 misfire detected

P0307 - cylinder 7 misfire detected

P1300 - catalyst damaging misfire multiple cylinders. Drive cycle C: Signal out of range - above maximum

P0442 - Evaporative Emission System leak detected (small leak)

Like I mentioned above, these problems manifested themselves overnight, there were no indications that there was trouble brewing.

So...million dollar question, "what's wrong?"

If I'm lucky, this is a "common" problem...chuckle...yeah right...so any ideas where to begin?

thanks in advance!
Brian

rovertek
06-17-2007, 05:48 PM
my experience is multiple random misfires usually is the coil paks need replacing sorry they are expensive, and i would check the gas cap for the evap problem

NAS110
06-18-2007, 12:15 AM
is there a way to test the coil pack or at least verify it's the culprit?

thanks!

rovertek
06-18-2007, 07:33 AM
unfortunately most of the test equiptment available does not cover land rover so you have to rely on your obd-2 and knoledge of the codes and prior experience, or you are at the mercy of your land rover dealer, you can check rovers north?

NAS110
06-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Okay, I am looking over the service manual and wanted to get some level of confidence that the coil is the problem before i start pulling things apart. It's not rocket science, but I do have to remove the intake manifold to get to the coil pack which is convieniently tucked in the back of the engine.

Anyway, the fault code indicates that cylinder 4 and 7 are misfiring. Looking at the diagram, the leads for 4 and 7 coicidentally are right next to each other. Is this a good enough indication that the coil is bad?

thanks again!

rovertek
06-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Okay, I am looking over the service manual and wanted to get some level of confidence that the coil is the problem before i start pulling things apart. It's not rocket science, but I do have to remove the intake manifold to get to the coil pack which is convieniently tucked in the back of the engine.

Anyway, the fault code indicates that cylinder 4 and 7 are misfiring. Looking at the diagram, the leads for 4 and 7 coicidentally are right next to each other. Is this a good enough indication that the coil is bad?

thanks again! you usually can weasel the whole pack out with just unplugging a few things and unbolting the unit and last i knew the coil paks were only available as a whole unit, but seriously talk to rovers no. its a toll free call and there always very helpful (800-403-7591).....

singingcamel
08-06-2007, 05:01 PM
try replacing the plug wires, they may be arching

bpack
10-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Last week I had a misfire on # 3,4,7,8 and find out the spsark plugs needed to be changed and then found out the #7 plug wire need to be changed. That's all I can tell you about your post.
Bpack