PDA

View Full Version : Are Rover brake lines double flared or single?

GeniusAndHisAssistant
04-29-2014, 08:03 AM
Hi everyone,

My son and I are making excellent progress on his series II - we hope to have it on the road in a couple of weeks. We ordered a wrong brake line but have the correct end available on another line. Question: is that what they call a double flare on the tubing? It almost looks like the originals have some type of bubble flare? Maybe the second part of flare was just not compressed at the factory? I am hoping I can just cut the end, slide on the right rover fitting and double flare it? Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance for your valuable reply!

Jay

Kbittle
04-29-2014, 08:28 AM
I am curious about this as well. I have replaced all the lines in my Series 1 and the two rear lines leaked and could not be tightened enough. I finally realized that the fitting on the end of the new line needed to be reduced in diameter for about 1/8 inch so it would set the flare or bubble into the seat area and make a seal. After I ground down the fitting I experimented with both bubble and flare and they both sealed. The old linesI took off where flared but they were likely not original.

o2batsea
04-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Your 1970 2A uses a DIN flare. Also known as a bubble flare. It looks like a mushroom from the side. This for all 3/16ths brake line, some of the clutch line, depending on whether the clutch master has the adapter or not. The clutch line may be 1/4". It may also be metric fittings but probably not for that year.
All brake line nuts are Lucas/Girling 3/8-24 threads available here or at fedhillusa.com. Fedhill will rent you the tool that makes lovely beautiful fabulous flares for $25 a week. Or you can buy it, but it's not a cheapo.
Do not cut corners or make splices in your brake lines if you can avoid it. This is an important safety item and is truly a life and death matter. Fudge anything else but the brakes. Spend the money for top quality parts and install them carefully and correctly.

SafeAirOne
04-29-2014, 04:29 PM
One of my favorite documents from the Federal Hill (www.fedhillusa.com) website is their flare identification chart: http://www.fedhillusa.com/webnuts/common%20flares6.pdf

Both the first post and the second post in this thread are addressed by the chart.

GeniusAndHisAssistant
05-01-2014, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the tips. We just saw some bubble flares being made on youtube - looks like something we can handle.

We really appreciate all of your help!

J & E

cedryck
05-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Fedhill is great, that guy really helped me with information, as well as materials,, just my 2 cents.