PDA

View Full Version : 1972 Shorland needs clutch.

04-30-2014, 02:54 PM
Hello, I need some advise please. My 1972 Shorland's clutch gave out last week at our local MVPA meeting. Has anyone changed the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing on a 1972 Shorland Armored Patrol Vehicle? I am planning to change it when I get the parts from Rovers North and some time. My 1972 Shorland has the in line six cylinder, and I assume it was built on the 109 one ton frame.I have talked with a Rover North sales rep and he thinks it would be the 9.5 inch clutch plate I need but until I pull it out I do not know for sure. I would like to have all parts on hand and finish the job in one day? All comments, advice, info appreciated.

I Leak Oil
05-01-2014, 11:03 AM
I imagine it's simply a stock series clutch setup. However, before you go ordering I'd make sure you know what transmission you have, IIa or III. Don't take it for granted that the tranny and clutch arrangment matches the year. You should be able to get it done in a day provided you don't go off topic with other items "while you're there".

Awesome truck by the way!

05-01-2014, 11:44 AM
I imagine it's simply a stock series clutch setup. However, before you go ordering I'd make sure you know what transmission you have, IIa or III. Don't take it for granted that the tranny and clutch arrangment matches the year. You should be able to get it done in a day provided you don't go off topic with other items "while you're there".

Awesome truck by the way!

Thank You. I have just wrapped up adjusting the clutch pedal distance, 5 1/2 inches, 2mm master cylinder rod free play, and I have 6-7 8ths in pedal free play before resistance is felt.....ran it around the block, seems to have fixed my issue! The problem that lead me to believe a clutch disc was needed- high " bite", and occasional delayed clutch engagement( press clutch, shift, release pedal,then it would feel like the disc would take a few seconds to engage ( I thought slippage), and the clutch pedal would occasionally lock up solid....my pedal height was at 6 inches off the floor, hope it is corrected, I need it for a meet in two weeks. Your input please.

SHORLAND
05-13-2015, 02:26 AM
I ordered my clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing from an outfit in England. Don't recall who though. Took me a few hours to swap everything out. Pretty much like any other clutch replacement. The Nuts and bolts are different than metric or sae. I had a set of wrenched and such I picked up online from England as well. They went with the Shorland when I sold it. Glad to see it just needed adjustment. I would though get everything ordered up "now" as it will take some time to get to you from over seas and such. Better to have them on hand since you will need them eventually.