PDA

View Full Version : Overhaul kits or new parts ? - Greetings from Australia

Themadmob
05-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Hi All

I am in the process of restoring a 1977 88' 2.25 petrol Landrover and was wondering if i should go for overhaul kits or go directly to buying the full part such as clutch and brake master cylinders, petrol pumps, etc.

Thanks

Craig

SafeAirOne
05-08-2014, 06:11 PM
For those items that are relatively...cheap...I'd just buy new ones, personally. Transmissions and engines, on the other hand...

Themadmob
05-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Thanks Mark ... it seems to be the best way to go.

leafsprung
05-09-2014, 10:20 AM
I think it depends on the part you are trying to replace, its condition and quality. Replacing original parts with cheap offshore produced parts may seem like it will expedite your project, but in the long run its best many times to rebuild a higher quality or more original component. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule - replace this or rebuild that. Make decisions on a individual basis

I Leak Oil
05-09-2014, 11:03 AM
The only thing I could add to what's already been said is to make sure you consider the quality of the rebuild kit as well. No sense in using original parts with sub-part rebuild components. May as well go with a throw away new part to begin with.

Anyway, welcome and one question for you Aussies. How do you guys drive upside down? Really sticky tires?:cheers:

SafeAirOne
05-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Replacing original parts with cheap offshore produced parts may seem like it will expedite your project, but in the long run its best many times to rebuild a higher quality or more original component.

Good point. I sometimes forget to take into account what has come to be known as the "BritPart factor".

jac04
05-09-2014, 12:01 PM
... what has come to be known as the "BritPart factor".
...and you're being nice. More commonly referred to as "Sh*tPart".

Themadmob
05-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Seriously ... is Britpart no good ?? Who do you recommend I buy my parts from ?

Themadmob
05-09-2014, 05:27 PM
The only thing I could add to what's already been said is to make sure you consider the quality of the rebuild kit as well. No sense in using original parts with sub-part rebuild components. May as well go with a throw away new part to begin with.

Anyway, welcome and one question for you Aussies. How do you guys drive upside down? Really sticky tires?:cheers:

you need a lot of technique to drive upside down :-)

Themadmob
05-09-2014, 05:30 PM
I was going to buy my parts from Paddock spares in the UK and Roverparts in Ozzie ???