PDA

View Full Version : new to me 64 IIA

avfromvt
05-10-2014, 07:39 AM
I commandeered this 64 about a month ago which was sitting in my father in laws driveway for a few years. Despite the initial fuel issues due to the dual tank setup and a good carb cleaning everything seems to be working it even passed the state inspection. Changed all fluids, just redid the front seats the 50 year old elephant hide was no longer pliable. Also fabricated a rear gas can rack for the back door. I had a rack from a latter model range rover which I put on it need new offsets to work with the drip edge due to the safari roof height.

Things I need to fig sooner than latter are the gas gauge and winch.

One question about the fuel gauge sender.
How many ohms should be coming form the sender, or is there a different way to test the sender?

Anyways just wanted to share my first rover and my progress thus far. I know how everyone loves pictures.

Look forward to doing some more work on it and trailblazing with the kids.

SafeAirOne
05-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Well...the power supply to the fuel sender should be putting out an average of 10 volts. If you have a reliable 10v at the sender supply wire, then the problem will presumably be the sender itself.

My brand new sender reads 18 ohms full and 240 ohms empty. IIRC, early rovers, maybe positive earth ones, were opposite, but you'll want to confirm this.

PavementEnds
05-10-2014, 08:03 AM
Great looking rig! :thumb-up:

SafeAirOne
05-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Hmm...I see in the title that it's a 64, so your stuff might be different. Is yours positive earth? If so, you can probably disregard that 10v stuff I mentioned and the sender ohms might be reversed hi/lo.

Escargo
05-10-2014, 07:50 PM
I've a '64 also. Yeah, should be pos. ground. Between the sender and the gauge, good luck. Grounding issues I'm told. I've got it down to keeping my tank more than 1/2 full, then everything works OK. What winch?

badvibes
05-11-2014, 06:24 AM
Nice looking truck! I like the color on the seats with the red paint.

avfromvt
05-11-2014, 06:31 AM
The winch is a Koenig king winch L621, I went thorough it yesterday and it seems to work well. I just drained and replenished the oil and greased all fittings. It is missing the lever which is used to engage and disengage the dogs on the left side. A pry bar works in a pinch but I may try to find or fabricate a bar if I can't find one.

here is a pic of the fuel can holder I made, it mount on the spare tire fixture on the rear door.

Escargo
05-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Commendeered....I like it, is that with permission or without?

avfromvt
05-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Commendeered....I like it, is that with permission or without?

My father in law always had rovers as my wife was growing up. He had ended up with two 80's something range rovers which rotted into the ground and were hauled off to the scrap yard a few years back. He then bought this vehicle drove it home and parked it. His health has been bad at best and he doesn't have the health to work on or even drive any vehicle.

With all that being said he is almost more enthusiastic about me running it than I am.

Here was how the conversation played out

me "Hey are you going to do anything with that rover"
him "one day"
me "ok well can I have it"
him "yup"

:D

alaskantinbender
05-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Nice looking truck. They are a blast to play with.
I like my PTO winch but its coming of for an overdrive. Its too bad that both cant be on the T case.

You should take "Dad" for a spin.

Escargo
05-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Definitely, take him for a ride. Bet you get a smile out of him.