PDA

View Full Version : Whitwoth Spanners, necessary?

Dibsen
05-14-2014, 06:42 AM
Getting ready to drop the trans on a SIIA, I have read that without the Whitworth spanners, the job can be a real knuckle busting pain.

going off of this blog : http://www.stumpie.com/tech/gearbox/

Can anyone attest to that?

I found a nice looking set in a tool roll on ebay that seem reasonable

Any other personal experiences that might help are welcome

Thanks

o2batsea
05-14-2014, 07:30 AM
It's been a long time since I worked on a Series trans, but to my feeble recollection all the fittings are UNF, not Whitworth. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong there. In fact there aren't all that many Whitworth fasteners at all on a Series.
There are a few tho, and the ones that you can't get an SAE tool on are the really small ones that are somewhere between a 3/8 and a 5/16ths.

I Leak Oil
05-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Nothing a good set of SAE and metric can't handle.

SafeAirOne
05-14-2014, 09:31 PM

Side note: Sometimes 6-point stuff works better than 12-point when you're using the wrong tools.

Another side note: It's verry fuzzy--I can't remember for sure and I might be wrong, but I seem to recall that the nuts that hold the transfer case to the transmission sit in recessed (counterbored) holes, making Whitworth WRENCHES of limited value (for THAT particular task) anyhow.

leafsprung
05-15-2014, 12:05 AM
Lots of whitworth/BSF stuff in the trans and axles. Its worth having a set. Its inexpensive and saves aggravation.

Side note: Sometimes 6-point stuff works better than 12-point when you're using the wrong tools.

Another side note: It's verry fuzzy--I can't remember for sure and I might be wrong, but I seem to recall that the nuts that hold the transfer case to the transmission sit in recessed (counterbored) holes, making Whitworth WRENCHES of limited value (for THAT particular task) anyhow.

greenmeanie
05-15-2014, 01:04 AM
I view it as a nice to have but not essential.

In similar manners to the above I typically just use metric tools. If it is something that has a critical set torque like a head bolt I'll start getting more interested but those are few and far between in BSF on a Rover.

Contractor
05-15-2014, 07:44 AM
I have a set and have not really used them that much, but I suppose they are nice to have.

British Tool and Fastener's sells very affordable sets if you are looking for new. Based out of NY so you don't deal with overseas shipping.

SafeAirOne
05-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Ahh...yes--The 3/8 BSF nuts that hold the transfer case to the transmission DO sit in counterbored holes, so proper WRENCHES will do you no good here. You'll also need the sockets:

(Pic 'borrowed' from this site here: http://www.land-rover.org/fitting-a-high-ratio-transfer-box/ )
http://www.land-rover.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/2012-10-21-15.09.57-300x225.jpg

...and here's a link to a handy little conversion chart (http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/tools/conversion%20charts.htm) to show you what you're up against when using...other tools. For instance, those 3/8 BSF nuts take a .600" socket; A lot more that a 1/2" socket, a little more than a 9/16" socket, but not quite a 5/8"

TeriAnn
05-18-2014, 09:30 AM

Or in theory, nothing an adjustable spanner could not handle if you have clearance. Many folks use wrenches that are a close approximation to the correct size & hope that they do not round off the head.

Whitworth sizes show up in the axle assemblies, gearbox and transfercase. But not in many sizes. Usually about 3 different sizes of wrench & sockets will handle everything.

1/4W (5/16 BSF) and 3/16W (1/4 BSF) are 2 handy sizes. And there is a larger size for the nuts that hold the transfercase to the gearbox. I do not remember the size but you should have that one as a socket. There is no need to buy a whole set.

SafeAirOne
05-18-2014, 10:07 AM
And there is a larger size for the nuts that hold the transfercase to the gearbox. I do not remember the size but you should have that one as a socket.

3/8 BSF = 5/16 BSW

Donnie
05-19-2014, 06:30 PM
I guess this is NOT the time to offer my drawer full of Snap-on tools for sale to this group..I am thinking of selling everything Rover as my wife is having some health issues....I have one Rover left & kinda hate to part with it, but I seldom use it anymore.
In my Whitworth drawer there are about 50 pieces all Snap-on..sockets from 3BA to 7/8 BS...3/8 & 1/2" drive Snap-on ratchets.
wrenches are combination..smallest 3/16 BS to 1/2 BS....a 3/8 flex & a few xtensions..& a large MELCO double ended socket
There are also about a dozen German other open wrenches included...ANYONE interested in a NICE PRO tool set
send me a message.......Donnie