PDA

View Full Version : Temperature gauge

mrmurray
05-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Hello, I have a '67 SIIa 88" 2.25L gas engine, it came with what appear to be two different temperature sensors in the cylinder head (the kind that have a single male spade terminal coming out). I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of temperature gauge is compatible with these existing sensors?

Alternatively, is there a good temperature gauge/sensor combo for this engine?

Thanks in advance,
Mike in Portland.

Partsman
05-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Hello, I have a '67 SIIa 88" 2.25L gas engine, it came with what appear to be two different temperature sensors in the cylinder head (the kind that have a single male spade terminal coming out). I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of temperature gauge is compatible with these existing sensors?

Alternatively, is there a good temperature gauge/sensor combo for this engine?

Thanks in advance,
Mike in Portland.
There should only be one sending unit for the temp. gauge, the one that is on the top right of the head in a triangular plate is the otter switch, this is for the cold start light, and has nothing to do with the temperature gauge. Now the one on the left side of the head, near the thermostat housing is the sending unit, and if it's an electrical connection, it's probably for a temp. gauge like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-SERIES-1967-ONWARDS-WATER-TEMPERATURE-GAUGE-PART-NO-560746-/161226274972?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2589d5b89c
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/g8IAAOxywh1S~6hp/$_57.JPG

o2batsea
05-16-2014, 12:16 PM
That's an S3 gauge pictured ftr. 2A no temp gauge.

Partsman
05-16-2014, 12:24 PM
That is true, but the electric sending unit from the S3 gauge will fit in the head access for the sending unit, if he has an electric sending unit installed it's probably an S3 sending unit.

o2batsea
05-16-2014, 12:43 PM
I think it was more common back then to use the mechanical Smiths/Jaeger temp sender that has the ether bulb thingy that screws into the thermostat housing. It was available as either a single temp gauge or with the oil pressure gauge in a combo "safety" gauge (or both separate) but in any case it was in an aux dash panel. When the plastic dash came into being they nixed the ammeter in favor of a temp gauge in the triple cluster. Not that Smiths didn't have an electric version temp gauge back then, but the mech ones were just more prevalent for some reason.
If your gauge that you're trying to fit is electric, then ya it can run off the sender in the thermo housing. I have an original Smiths mechanical temp/oil gauge combo that is brand new. Just ended up not using it. PM me if interested. If you go to Gaugeguys.com, they have the full line of Smiths classic gauges. The electric temp gauge from them is $76. They have the mechanical dual gauge for about $170.
Ebay in both the USA and UK have tons of Smiths gauges for sale all the time if you want one that has patina.

Partsman
05-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Very true Bill, I also have the combo gauge you describe, and would also prefer this to the the Series III one I posted, But I've seen a number of truck with this "upgrade".