PDA

View Full Version : fuel sender - which wire tab goes to dash? Does the other go to ground?

GeniusAndHisAssistant
05-16-2014, 11:14 AM
We are getting very close to rolling the series IIA out of the shop. We installed a new fuel sending unit but we can't remember the wiring to it. There are two letters on the top of the sender next to the wire tabs - one is a W and one is a T - which one goes to the dash? and should the other go to ground? The tank is very well grounded to the frame and screws that hold the sending unit to the tank ground the unit to the tank. What should we do - would prefer not to burn the shop and Rover to the ground. This make us nervous!!

thanks in advance....

j & e

SafeAirOne
05-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Even if you get them backwards, you won't harm anything or burn anything down. You'll just get false indications on the gauge (mine read so that a full tank = 1/2 on the gauge).

Not sure which sender you have, but on senders with metal covers, the terminal that is isolated (insulated) from the metal cover will be the positive terminal (the wire from the gauge connects here) and the the uninsulated one is the ground.

SafeAirOne
05-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Oh, wait. You have a sender with a low fuel warning lamp terminal? If so, T=to the gauge, W=to the warning lamp and ground is accomplished via a wire with 2 ring terminals, one through a chassis or body fastener, the other under one of the sender screws.

See reply #13 here: http://www.s2cforum.com/archives/index.php?topic=9585.0

GeniusAndHisAssistant
05-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Still not sure.... both tabs appear the same, neither is insulated. I believe we bought it from RN and it would be a pro-line, but it was a year ago we purchased it - no box to tell anymore. I really shouldn't worry about anything blow'n up? Where is the safest place to ground to?

o2batsea
05-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Still not sure.... both tabs appear the same, neither is insulated. I believe we bought it from RN and it would be a pro-line, but it was a year ago we purchased it - no box to tell anymore. I really shouldn't worry about anything blow'n up? Where is the safest place to ground to?
Green/black wire attaches to the T terminal. That should be it to get the gauge working. W is for low fuel warning on diesels.

GeniusAndHisAssistant
05-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Thank you so very much!!!