PDA

View Full Version : Roamerdrive?

rbbailey
05-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Who's got one, and what do they think? Better noise? Better mpg? Better speed? Reliable?

http://roamerdrive.com/ss_model.html

SafeAirOne
05-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Same question asked in other places:

http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/showthread.php?3555-roamerdrive

http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/showthread.php?4863-Global-Roamer-Overdrive

rbbailey
05-17-2014, 11:49 AM
DANGIT! I LOokeD!!! I only came up with three threads, one not actually about the Roamer, the other two about installing it....

...but I didn't look at G&R. Thanks.

lighiche
05-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Who's got one, and what do they think? Better noise? Better mpg? Better speed? Reliable?

http://roamerdrive.com/ss_model.html

I'm completely sold. I just installed one on my IIA 109. A tad whiny but I'm told that that calms down significantly and I'm already hearing an improvement after about three hundred miles. Better mpg: I just recorded 20mpg at a pretty steady avg. 50 mph lengthwise through the center of VT. Can't speak to reliable as I just put it in but it's built like a tank. I've driven a Fairey, though not owned one, and my first impression is that this is a much stouter bit of equipment.

rbbailey
05-18-2014, 12:07 AM
Wait.... that's 20, as in MILES PER GALLON? Not liters? On a petrol? Stock? What type of mileage did you get before?

Because I'm getting about 11 mpg in my Series. (I've only driven it 300 miles in three years..... long story, took me two engines to tell it....) And I only get 12 mph in my Disco, 16 for pure freeway driving.

lighiche
05-18-2014, 04:46 AM
Wait.... that's 20, as in MILES PER GALLON? Not liters? On a petrol? Stock? What type of mileage did you get before?

I had to do the math a couple of times. Yep, 20mpg. I was pretty much cruising, not a lot of stopping and starting. Minimal headwind, a few hills. Stock but rebuilt 2.25 with original - refurbished this year in England - Solex. New fluids. Not much more weight in it besides me and my dog.

Partsman
05-18-2014, 06:57 AM
I had to do the math a couple of times. Yep, 20mpg. I was pretty much cruising, not a lot of stopping and starting. Minimal headwind, a few hills. Stock but rebuilt 2.25 with original - refurbished this year in England - Solex. New fluids. Not much more weight in it besides me and my dog.

Hmm...I'm averaging 20mpg without an overdrive in my 2.5 liter petrol on my 109, with a Zenith carb. My modern Jeep is only getting 18.5mpg. I wonder how much my mpg would improve if I installed an overdrive.

Contractor
05-18-2014, 09:20 AM
I have one and like it, I also have a Fairey and like it as well. The Roamer Drive seems to generate a little less noise, but I don't notice any major differences.

One trivial difference that I like is the dipstick feature on the RD as opposed to removing a nut to check oil level on the Fairey.

stomper
05-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Are you guys measuring your MPG using the stock speedo? The one that seems to always be about 10mph off from the GPS?

Partsman
05-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Are you guys measuring your MPG using the stock speedo? The one that seems to always be about 10mph off from the GPS?

Nope, using the GPS which gives me speed and mileage, I haven't fixed my speedometer yet.m I use the same GPS in both trucks, and used it to calculate my MPG in both trucks.

rbbailey
05-18-2014, 08:57 PM
That seems crazy. I've had two engines in this truck, and I'm getting same MPG for each one.

Must be doing something wrong, but I'm not running rich, not hauling extra weight....???

lighiche
05-19-2014, 05:35 AM

I'm using GPS too, though my speedo is right in line with it, maybe 1-2mph high at worst. Just had speedo rebuilt at Nisongers.

lighiche
05-19-2014, 05:39 AM
And...I was pulled over last night for going 68 in 60 mph zone. It was late and I wasn't paying attention, but I was secretly thrilled! I had no idea Poppy could go that fast on the flat. When the officer saw what I was driving he concluded that "your speedo must be off" and declined to ticket me. Didn't even give me a warning, just told me I had a great truck!

Contractor
05-19-2014, 07:34 AM
And...I was pulled over last night for going 68 in 60 mph zone. It was late and I wasn't paying attention, but I was secretly thrilled! I had no idea Poppy could go that fast on the flat. When the officer saw what I was driving he concluded that "your speedo must be off" and declined to ticket me. Didn't even give me a warning, just told me I had a great truck!

Gettin pulled over for speeding while driving a Series Truck is quite the accomplishment. :thumb-up:

Partsman
05-19-2014, 08:46 AM
Gettin pulled over for speeding while driving a Series Truck is quite the accomplishment. :thumb-up:

I have to agree, way to go!

rbbailey
05-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Wow.

cedryck
05-23-2014, 09:40 AM
I got stopped for going to slow by a Conn. State police officer. He laughed at me when I told him my speedo read 70!