PDA

View Full Version : Rocker Shaft HELP !!!

Themadmob
05-18-2014, 02:21 AM
Hi All ... Greetings from Australia

The Stripping of my Series 3 continues..... Head came off today

Please have a look at the attached photo....

After stripping the rocker assembly I noticed the following

A: I noticed that one of the nuts had sheared off and the other sheared off and is now broken off in the rocker shaft...

1: How did they break off?
2. The Rocker Shafts are pretty worn

I assume the best thing to do is to replace the rocker shafts as they look pretty worn.

Where do you recommend I purchase the rocker arm and bolts that are broken?

Now that the rocker assembly is stripped I have been told that I should replace the springs, valve stem seals and tappets ...... Anything else??

Thanks in advance for your help

Craig

I Leak Oil
05-18-2014, 06:00 AM
If the shaft is that worn then chances are the rocker bushings are as well. How did they break? Well who knows, you don't really know the unit's history and who may have done what to it. Those screws simply locate the shaft to keep it form shifting back and forth and keep it from spinning so the oil passages stay open.

Where to buy parts? Oh lets see..I don't know....where O' where to buy parts for a series truck..Hmmm....:sly:

Themadmob
05-18-2014, 06:46 AM
As you say... I have no idea how they broke ... Hmmmm .... :-) .... Can you buy the bushes separately or should I replace the rockers as well ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I Leak Oil
05-18-2014, 08:30 AM
Depends on how worn the rocker pads are. Usually they just need a little polishing.

Parts:
http://www.roversnorth.com/Items.aspx?code=15&key=cat

SafeAirOne
05-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Where to buy parts? Oh lets see..I don't know....where O' where to buy parts for a series truck..Hmmm....:sly:

1) In Australia, can't you just go down to your local auto parts store?

2) If you Google "land rover parts Australia" you come up with a billion Australia-based hits.

TeriAnn
05-18-2014, 09:07 AM
As you say... I have no idea how they broke ... Hmmmm .... :-) .... Can you buy the bushes separately or should I replace the rockers as well ???

You can replace the bushings separately. Once installed they need to be reamed to properly fit the new shaft. Any automotive machine shop can install and properly ream the bushings to the new shaft. they can also resurface the end of the rocker that pushes against the top of the valves. The surface should be flat and indentation free if you are to properly adjust valves.

I would not bother replacing the valve springs if you are not removing the cylinder head. But if the head is coming off it is a good time for valve grinding and adding hardened seats if the head does not have them. The valve seats are a standard size & a machine shop can source them for less than a LR parts dealer will sell them.

Valve springs get tired over time & in an engine some become weak faster than others. If your machine shop can test valve springs for strength it would not be a bad idea to have them tested to make sure thy are up to spec. or you could just get a new set. If you replace springs replace their retainers as well.

Whenever I have push rods out of an engine I always roll them on a flat surface to look to see if any have become bent.