PDA

View Full Version : 11" Drums on a Series IIa 88" SWB

warrenperkinson
05-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Hi All,

I'm upgrading the brakes on my SWB 88" SIIa.

This will be a 2 part project:
Part A: Upgrade the brake pedal tower/master cylinder to a series III dual circuit brake system; and
Part B: Upgrade my front brake drums from 10" to 11" drums (I have acquired some series III LWB 11" front brake drums).

So I have 2 questions for anyone who has done something like this before:

Q1: Do I have to install the 11" drums after I have upgraded to the sIII master cylinder, or can I install the 11" drums while still running my original series IIa single circuit/non power assisted brake pedal/master cylinder?

Q2: Would you recommend getting the new (used actually) 11" brake drums and backing plates galvanised (and then machined of course) before installing? (I figured that as I have them in pieces now, it would be an easy job). Or is this just overkill?

Thanks for you sage advice...

Warren.

o2batsea
05-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Q1 you can put those brakes on the single circuit system. If they are 109 drums with two wheel cylinders then you should consider upping the MC to the 109 type that has more volume.
Q2 Galvanizing will keep the backing plates from rusting, but it will give you fits when installing due to the extra thickness of the zinc.
Do not galvanize the drums. I don't know if the heat from the dip will warp the drums (prolly not) but you will definitely have to have the zinc removed from the inside (turned) so it's kinda like overkill.