PDA

View Full Version : Sudden loss of power

lighiche
05-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Driving my Series IIA 109 SW after a successful 2000 miles on a rebuilt carb and engine. Lost power without any warning. Nothing dramatic happened. Just couldn't make hills anymore over 30 mph. Original 2.25 petrol engine with a new Roamerdrive. The engine's been overhauled for modern unleaded fuel with ethanol. Everything was working great until it wasn't.

Help! I'm about to make a 1200 mile cross country trek. Any thoughts?

SafeAirOne
05-26-2014, 07:20 PM
If it still runs but develops a decreasing amount of power (well, until it eventually dies), I'd check for obstruction in the fuel line. Everything from the screen on the fuel pickup tube in the bottom of the tank all the way to the inlet strainer on the carb (if equipped)

lighiche
05-26-2014, 08:14 PM
If it still runs but develops a decreasing amount of power (well, until it eventually dies), I'd check for obstruction in the fuel line. Everything from the screen on the fuel pickup tube in the bottom of the tank all the way to the inlet strainer on the carb (if equipped)

Thanks for your suggestion. The fuel tank was rebuilt and the fuel lines, screen, inlet strainer all replaced. Given this, think I need to check it all again?

TedW
05-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Driving my Series IIA 109 SW after a successful 2000 miles on a rebuilt carb and engine. Lost power without any warning. Nothing dramatic happened. Just couldn't make hills anymore over 30 mph. Original 2.25 petrol engine with a new Roamerdrive. The engine's been overhauled for modern unleaded fuel with ethanol. Everything was working great until it wasn't.

Help! I'm about to make a 1200 mile cross country trek. Any thoughts?

Steve:

Just a thought: Check your coil. I had power loss recently and thought it was bad gas - turned out to be a Pertronix coil that was going bad. I reinstalled my 44 year old Lucas coil and everything was swell after that.

Ted

cedryck
05-27-2014, 10:32 AM
I too had a coil that was Dying, slowly, and would create a loss of power issue with my 88. Bugged me long till I put an old SAAB coil in and drove it with no loss of power, then swapped the appropriate coil.