PDA

View Full Version : Rear Hub Oil Seal and Bolts

Correus
05-27-2014, 06:56 PM
Hello everyone -

Have a some questions in regard to the rear hubs.

I'm refurbishing all four of them and have started the reassembly and as usual questions come up.

#1 - The shop manual says to smear the outside of the oil seal with "joining compound". What is joining compound? I've used grease on other seals elsewhere.

#2 - The shop manual also says "DO NOT press seal below the rear face of the hub..." Okay - I guess this just means to make sure it's level with the edge - this is what I've done. The bearing now moves up and down since the oil seal is not pressing it down. If this is the case I'm assuming the distance piece presses the bearing in place and THAT'S why the face of the distance piece must be smooth. Is this correct?

I've attached pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. In the pic of the seal you can see the gap between the seal and the bearing.

jac04
05-30-2014, 11:56 AM
#1 - This is usually a non-hardening sealant, like hylomar.
#2 - Correct.

siii8873
05-30-2014, 05:42 PM
#1 - This is usually a non-hardening sealant, like hylomar.
#2 - Correct. Jeff, is that a Jeep in your avatar!!!!

Correus
05-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Thanks!

jac04
05-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Jeff, is that a Jeep in your avatar!!!!
Hehehe. Yes it is.

TeriAnn
05-31-2014, 10:27 AM
Jeff, is that a Jeep in your avatar!!!!

Hehehe. Yes it is.

And here I thought it was the proposed Defender replacement. Well, perhaps it is. And the FJ replacement. :(

jac04
05-31-2014, 10:48 AM
And here I thought it was the proposed Defender replacement. Well, perhaps it is.

For me it is. I have been looking at NAS Defender 90s for quite some time. A nice D90 that doesn't require a lot of work is crazy money. For less $$, I ordered a 2014 Rubicon X. Check out the specs on it sometime - in stock form it's a very impressive vehicle for the money.