PDA

View Full Version : freeing up seized oel rings

Donnie
06-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Hello all, I have an engine/chemical question that I'd like to get some opinions on.
This engine has been sitting for about 2 years without being started...started it the other day & a lot of blue smoke appeared...I have never been one for mechanic in a can, but I know that the engine did not smoke when parked, so I am suspecting that the oel rings are seized in their bores..I know that there are a lot of new gee whiz chemicals on the market & possibly some older ones that I never had occasion to use..
I am almost sure that the oel rings are stuck in their bores & the engine is not worn out & am not interested in a tear down, but would like opinions on different things that you all have tried..........with or without success..
TIA...........Donnie

martindktm
06-03-2014, 05:59 AM
How long have you let the engine run? Did it reach operating temp?

o2batsea
06-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Just run it. It will settle down. Nothing is seized if it is running. Only thing you may be wanting to change are the valve guide seals.

meatblanket
06-03-2014, 10:28 AM
First, you are asking about rings being stuck in the ring lands, right? Are you getting smoke out of the breather or just the exhaust?

Second, did you start the engine using stale gasoline?

Third, if you did and the rings are truly varnished, gummed, cemented into the ring lands, I've got nothing for you. I've tried Marvel Mystery Oil, and Kano Kreen with no success.

Donnie
06-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Yes, I suspect that the oel rings are seized in their grooves..Smoke out the exhaust, no blow by...breather is fine. Gas was 2 years old, Stabil was added before parking it.
You said that U used MMO & Kreen.....was that down thru the plugs or added to the crankcase or fuel tank?
Yes engine ran about 3 hours, up to temp, wanting to use up the fuel as much as possible...Hurricane 6 cyl in my old Willys plow truck..Flat head = not valve stem seals. I suspect rings seized/ carboned in their piston grooves....any one???????...Donnie

martindktm
06-04-2014, 04:40 AM
I would try to add Diesel fuel thru spark plug holes. Fill them. Let it sits for a few days. Fuel will leak down thru the rings and crankcase and clean up residue. Before starting up the engine after a few days change the engine oil and make sure there'S no fuel left in the cylinder.

Otherwise rebuilt it or run it as is and check oil level often....

Donnie
06-11-2014, 07:40 PM
I added 2 quarts of kerosene to the crankcase & ran the engine at about 1500 rpm for about 1/2 hour..just to allow the crank to splash a bit of thin oel around...then after cool down I centered all the pistons in their bores & added my favorite " nut buster" homebrew:
For that I mix acetone & ATF 50/50...& filled the cylinders to the top & let it set for 3 days...Disconnected the coil...spun the engine over a few rounds........drained the oel , changed the filter..........Put in fresh Rotella 15/40....& all seems GOOD...very LITTLE Smoke. I xpect that to clear up after running it a bit more.........thanks to all of you for your opinions...........Donnie

Zimbos
06-12-2014, 06:17 AM
LAST YEAR I BOUGHT A BARN FIND THAT HAD BEEN SITTING FOR 7 YEARS WITH NUMBER TWO PISTON SIEZED , I TOOK THE SPARK PLUGS OUT SPRAYED WD40 AND PB BLASTER IN , I DUMPED THE OIL AND WHEN I GOT IT RUNNING RAN A 30 WEIGHT OIL FOR A FEW HOURS WITH MARVEL MYSTRY OIL IN IT ,THEN DUMPED THE 30 WEIGHT AND PUT THE FACTORY 50 WEIGHT , IT RUNS LIKE A CHAMP NOW WITH NEVER HAVING TO TEAR INTO THE MOTOR , GOOD LUCK

Boston
06-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Take your cap lock off when you post. Please.
Fwiw diesel fuel is great at doing what you did.