PDA

View Full Version : Stromberg tuning

heyitsmike
06-05-2014, 07:30 PM
I figured I may get more bites here than in the 101 thread...
I finally got the v8 running. It runs smooth and all, but for some reason sucked down an entire 5 gallon fuel can in about 20 minutes. Needless to say, I think the strombergs need to be adjusted. Problem is, this is my first rover. I'm prety good with cars, but I'm not sure how to adjust it. Is there anything I need to know while working with 2 carbs? Do I just set one as close as I can to the other?
Thanks

greenmeanie
06-06-2014, 01:01 AM
Buy the 101 Repair Operation Manual RTC 9120. It has detailed infomration of everything you need to set the carbs up. They are pretty simple to set up once you've done them once or twice.

I'd start with an overhaul, gaskets, diaphragm and needles (2AYs in a 101). You can buy everything from Joe Curto in NY or order from the UK. In each carb check the float level and make sure you don't have a sunken float and make sure the little needle valve is not stuck. You'll need a carb balancer tool too.

Then run through the fuel system and make sure the return line to the tank is clear so you have continuous flow.

S'about it.