PDA

View Full Version : do ya really like the lr3?

scott
06-19-2007, 06:12 PM
hello folks with lots of bucks. i'm a series iia owner. paid a few thou and i've a good truck for bang'n around. my wife is looking at the LR3 HSE, $59K (yikes). Do you guys like 'em?

rover73
06-24-2007, 11:04 PM
I'VE HAD AN LR3 FOR A YEAR IN SANTA FE AND REALLY LIKE IT....IT'S BEEN OFF ROAD A FAIR AMOUNT WITH THE ONLY LIMITING FACTOR BEING THE TIRES I'M RUNNING...NICE TO CHANGE UP FROM MY 73 SERIES THREE FROM TIME TO TIME

scott
06-25-2007, 01:54 PM
thanks. she bought one saturday. i look at is as a brand new drive train for my serries. she got a hitch w/wiring and i've a towbar

tempestv8
08-07-2007, 06:33 AM
I don't have a lot of bucks, but I do like the thought of owning a LR3, as long as it's under warranty! :D

Not sure yet whether the reliability is anything like the D2 that I drive.

Anyone got some comment on LR3 reliability?

Good feedback is most welcome!

scott
08-08-2007, 07:42 AM
i'm thinking it'll take 40+ years of off road'n befor we can tell just how reliable. i see those folks on the other side of the world taking their's to the dirt. who out there has had an lr3 for more than a year?

bjesplin
11-20-2007, 12:04 PM
I have owned my 2006 LR3 for two years, and 20,000 miles. I love it. I take it off road regularly. It has every traction aid know to man except traction tires. I am looking for better tires but I can't find any.

I have only gotten stuck once, driving slowly into a frozen snow drift. It automatically went into the extened suspension mode when I got high centered. After a friend pulled me out the suspension was so high I could hardly climb in and out. Has anyone else had their LR3 go into the extended mode?

When I got it no one thought I would take such an expensive vehicle off road. My response was "Why would I buy the worlds best off road vehicle and not take it off road".

As far as reliability, I have had two blend door motors in the heating/AC fail. Other than this I have only had the occational warning light come on, only to reset itself.

Mine is an HSE with every factory option. I don't know how I ever lived without a navigation system. It is great for finding destinations while traveling. It also comes in handy close to home finding short cuts around construction etc.

I change my own oil, but I don't know how to reset the service indicator. The dealer told me it takes a dealer's computer to reset it. Does anyone know a way to reset the service indicator yourself?

Tom
11-24-2007, 07:41 PM
[quote=bjesplin]I have owned my 2006 LR3 for two years, and 20,000 miles. I love it. I take it off road regularly. It has every traction aid know to man except traction tires. I am looking for better tires but I can't find any.[\quote]

I found a direct replacement for the tires on my 06 LR3 from General Tire.
It's a Grabber AT2 and comes in 255/55/18 and 255/60/18. Also comes in a whopping 305/50/20. The tires have good offroad traction and are quiet on road. :thumb-up:

http://www.generaltire.com/generator/www/us/en/generaltire/automobile/themes/van/all_terrain/grabber_at2/master_en.html

my 2 cents plus tax and shipping costs...
Tom

bjesplin
11-24-2007, 09:03 PM
I found a direct replacement for the tires on my 06 LR3 from General Tire.
It's a Grabber AT2 and comes in 255/55/18 and 255/60/18. Also comes in a whopping 305/50/20. The tires have good offroad traction and are quiet on road. :thumb-up:

http://www.generaltire.com/generator/www/us/en/generaltire/automobile/themes/van/all_terrain/grabber_at2/master_en.html

my 2 cents plus tax and shipping costs...
Tom

The problem is the HSE comes with 255/55/19 tires and there isn't much available in 19 inch. It seems most tire manufacturers skip from 18" to 20". I could buy 18" Land Rover wheels but they are expensive, and there doesn't seem to be aftermarket wheels available except in 20" and larger.

Tom
11-25-2007, 05:10 AM
The problem is the HSE comes with 255/55/19 tires and there isn't much available in 19 inch. It seems most tire manufacturers skip from 18" to 20". I could buy 18" Land Rover wheels but they are expensive, and there doesn't seem to be aftermarket wheels available except in 20" and larger.

You're right... 19's are going to be hard to find. Decent tires for the 18" rims are just now hitting the market and there still aren't too many to choose from.

Regards...
Tom

groundhog
02-14-2008, 10:30 PM
I just got an LR3 in Nov. I love it. I ended up selling my D90 1994 hardtop which had 113,000 mi on it. I figured the time was right as prices weren't going to get much higher. I also needed a trip truck. Still have a 71 and 65 109 and a 1997 disco. I still like them all. I put the ARB front bumper on. Make sure your dealer has done this job for someone else before you send yours to get done. They had my truck for over a week trying to figure out how to get it together. It ended up fitting on very well and has great front end and underbody protection. Also the hella 4000's work great on the bumper.