PDA

View Full Version : Front End Alignment Is Wonky

bullstanky
06-10-2014, 01:55 PM
The front end of my SIII 109" is basically all new: new front horn, new shackles, new steering gear, new ball joints on all of the steering links, new steering damper, and a new bumper and brush guard (big thanks to rwollschlager for donating his old series brush guard). It's been almost a 2 year journey to complete this stage of my under-funded restoration. Everything looks pretty good, but I drove it the other day and thought the steering felt very "floaty" and loose. I was looking at the front end, and when the front left wheel is straight, it appears that the front right wheel is cocked out a bit to the right (see below)...what is the cause of this and how do I get them into alignment?

https://flic.kr/p/nDhjq

o2batsea
06-10-2014, 02:14 PM
If I recall the lengths are given in the manual for the steering rod and the tie rod. If you have downloaded the S3 manual pdf it's pages 211-221.

cedryck
06-11-2014, 07:13 AM
A good garage should be able to help with their alignment equipment.

TeriAnn
06-12-2014, 07:50 AM
A good garage should be able to help with their alignment equipment.

I second that. A professional alignment should always be the end point of a major steering overhaul. The factory alignment specs is something like 3/32 of an inch between max & min allowable toe in. Some folks say they can get within that spec at home using their home tools. But this tight of a specification really needs a shop set up to do a professional alignment.

Bring in the workshop manual page that provides alignment specs, read a magazine and come out with a truck that is aligned to within factory specifications.

bullstanky
11-11-2014, 07:07 PM
For reference, the alignment specs listed in the Haynes manual are as follows:
Camber: 1 1/2"
Castor: 3"
Swivel pin inclination: 7"
Toe-in: 1.2-2.2mm