PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Selector Issue

zebrarover
06-18-2014, 06:28 PM
I've got a 1966 iia with the original gearbox and a roverdrive. Approx 2 years ago I had the engine rebuilt and the the gearbox resealed. I also put in a new clutch and hydraulics at that time. Since then, I've had issues with gears "sticking". It appears that the selector attempts to engage two gears at the same time (2nd/4th) or won't completely disengage a gear. When this happens the gearbox "locks up". This doesn't happen all of the time but seems to happen sporadically (usually in the middle of traffic). I've used a long screwdriver through the hi/lo inspection slot to manually slide the selectors back into place when it happens but I'd like to get a more permanent solution. I recently changed out the reverse gait springs, the bushing at the bottom of the gear lever, and the detent springs but the issue persists. I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas that might help solve this issue short of a total gearbox rebuild.

Thanks,
Seth

SafeAirOne
06-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Sounds like the o-ring or plastic buffer (depending on which style you have) on the bottom of the gearshift lever is worn/broken/missing.

zebrarover
06-18-2014, 09:05 PM
Sounds like the o-ring or plastic buffer (depending on which style you have) on the bottom of the gearshift lever is worn/broken/missing.

I just replaced the O-ring on the bottom of the gearshift when I replaced the detent springs. I was hoping it was going to be a "simple" fix but that never seems to happen with my rovers. Thanks.

Cutter
06-21-2014, 08:01 AM
Is it possible the selector fork is loose on the rod? Seems like you need to open up the top.