PDA

View Full Version : awful clutch noises...

GeniusAndHisAssistant
06-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Does anyone know what this sound may be?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J64bBq6zeE

IT makes it during hill starts, and sometimes at stop lights. The sound in the movie was by far the worst I've ever heard...

I'm guessing it is probably an ominous sign of a wearing plate...

Thanks!
e

Landylouwho
06-23-2014, 05:44 PM
Does the sound only happen while under load when shifting into 1st or does it occur in other gears as well? Is there any vibration that accompanies the sound? Could be a bad throw out (release) bearing.

GeniusAndHisAssistant
06-23-2014, 05:45 PM
I probably should've explained more. This movie was when it was starting in second. Sometimes, it will make the sound when releasing the clutch in other gears but not always. Sometimes, the floor will shake quite badly.... other times, nothing at all.

jac04
06-23-2014, 08:11 PM
I'd start by checking the u-joints on the driveshaft and also the flange bolts to make sure they are tight. Check for excessively worn splines as well. To me, it sounds like a u-joint failure.

What is the engine doing when the floor shakes, is it shaking too? Is acceleration 'jerky'? Could be many other things: engine & transmission mounts, broken spring(s) on the clutch disc, internal transmission gear issues, differential problem, etc.

SafeAirOne
06-23-2014, 08:13 PM
"Why start in 2nd?" would be my first question, but that's not relevant to solving this issue...

My second would be "what do you see when you remove the center seat bottom and the access cover (paying close attention to the rear drive shaft/handbrake drum behavior) while the noise is going on?

My third would be "What is the condition of the friction disc?" IIRC, you should be able to remove the small cover on the top of the bellhousing, under the front 2 shift lever bracket fasteners and have a peek inside.

I'd probably start with those if you are confident that the noise is coming from within the engine-to-transmission join area.

cedryck
06-24-2014, 09:10 AM
I had a knackered and very worn flywheel bushing, (right in the middle of the flywheel, there is a brass bushing that the adjoining shaft fits into, that does wear, and will vibrate and make an awful noise, adding my 2 cents, cheers!