PDA

View Full Version : Hand Brake

bensdad
06-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Any tips for replacing the hand brake pads and springs? It is pretty hard to get the springs to stay in place. I don't have a lift so I am doing it from underneath. I did remove the drive shaft to see if that would help.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

lrmo71
06-25-2014, 05:38 PM
Do you have a Haynes manual? It is a good idea to have one handy.

SafeAirOne
06-25-2014, 05:52 PM
It's been my personal experience that one should polish up on one's expletive repertoire prior to attempting to install the handbrake shoes; There's nothing worse than having to fumble for the correct swear word or phrase right in the middle of this job.

lrmo71
06-25-2014, 05:56 PM
I noticed I had posted about the hand brake lever, not the shoes....oops!

I would say a good nights sleep + a weekend should get you pointed in the right direction...that and a proper manual.

MF

bensdad
06-25-2014, 06:25 PM
I may have exhausted all of the expletives that I know. If you have any creative suggestions that too would be appreciated :)

SafeAirOne
06-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Thinking back on the last time I did it, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to just remove the propshaft flange so you don't have to struggle to get the shoes, with springs precariously in place, around the enormous flange.

luckyjoe
06-26-2014, 10:16 AM
I've always done the rear output seal when I do the brake shoes, so as Mark says, the propshaft flange is out of the way. Also, fit the top shoe, fit the springs to both shoes (with lower shoe left hanging), then pull the lower shoe into place. Piece o' cake...

bensdad
06-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Thank you all. For anyone reading this it is easy to put the hand brake together with the new pads on the workbench and then install.
Drove it a bit today first time!!