PDA

View Full Version : Recalcitrant bolt . . .

LaneRover
07-11-2014, 02:42 PM
So trying to get the rear springs off of one truck to put under another and the bolt that holds the front of the Spring to the truck (the fixed end) won't come out.

the holes that the bolt go into aren't threaded and the other side came out perfectly fine.

Any thought? The only thing I can think of is that somehow the bolt is bent a bit and that it is stuck in the bushing.

I've hit it hard enough that the truck now has A LOT less rust on it.

Some of that rust was in what is left of my hair . . . .

fliptscript
07-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Heat from a torch can help a lot of time. Most of the time this works for me better than soaking overnight with PB Blaster.

SafeAirOne
07-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Probably rusted in the bushing or (less likely) to the hanger.

If it's the forward spring hanger on the rear springs of a 109, then the hanger is just simple, thin steel tabs. I doubt they'd have enough surface area to foil any attempt to break them free, presuming you're using a nice, long breaker bar on the bolt.

That leaves the bushing. I might try a long breaker bar with a REALLY LONG cheater bar on that. If I couldn't get any satisfaction turning the bolt in either direction, might get a sacrificial nut and thread it halfway on and wail on it with a sledge hammer or maybe an air hammer to break it free, then try turning the bolt again.

No joy? My next move would be to wedge the hanger ears outboard slightly so I could get a sawz-all blade between the hanger and the bushing core and cut both sides of the bolt off INSIDE the hangar tabs (You did support the vehicle by the chassis on jack stands, didn't you??). Once that was done, I'd change the bushing out in the normal, difficult fashion. Brush up on your expletives now, before you start this job.

Note that presuming the bolt is rusted to the inside tube of the bushing and NOT just stuck at the hanger tabs, a) you won't be able to heat it up because of the 2 wraps of the spring insulating the bushing and b) Even if you could heat it up enough, it won't work anyway--it'll just melt the bushing rubber away and leave the bolt rusted to the inner tube.

I Leak Oil
07-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Rusted in the inner bushing for sure. I had to cut mine out with a sawzall. Cut the bolt between the bushing and the hanger. If you don't plan on keeping the spring you can use a torch and just cut it out.

ivan
07-11-2014, 09:38 PM
one good thing is ,less rust better mllage

look at the good side

ivan

1971Series88
07-12-2014, 09:09 PM
I replaced all my hangers and springs recently. Found that some hangers were threaded and some were not. Don't assume! Make sure.

Otherwise keep at it. What I ended up doing was to use a sawzall to cut the bolt on both sides on two.

LaneRover
07-14-2014, 08:37 AM
I am pretty sure that it is rusted in the bushing as the bolt turns and when I turn it with a wrench it spins pretty freely, it just won't budge - I'll try again this afternoon . . .