PDA

View Full Version : Engine upgrade

BobJones
07-15-2014, 12:37 AM
I've had to put my restoration of my 59 SERII 88" 2.25L, on hold for a couple of years. But now looking to start up again. I'm wondering what needs to be changed on these old engines to run on modern unleaded fuel. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

LaneRover
07-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Modern unleaded fuel needs a lead substitute or have the valves replaced with Stellite valves (nomenclature may have changed but the valves should be changed).

That being said if you are only doing a few hundred or a couple thousand miles a year of puttering up and down back roads I say just drive it as is and deal with it if/when you have to because the valves have actually worn and aren't sealing any more.

o2batsea
07-15-2014, 11:20 AM
It's not really a problem until you run the engine at high rpm for extended periods...like 6 hours a day on the highway. Even then it may not be an issue. Otherwise if you are just putting around no worries.

TeriAnn
07-15-2014, 12:13 PM
If you have any RUBBER fuel lines you should replace them with current formula hoses. The pre-ethanol hoses came apart from the inside out.

Otherwise just drive it until you need a valve job then have hardened valve seats installed. They are a standard size that any automotive machine shop can get. Depending upon your old valve condition & the amount of build up on them you could go several thousand miles before you need a valve job.

My advice is to just drive it until it need s valve job.

BobJones
07-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Thank you all for the great info. That's a relief to hear as I don't plan on putting on a lot of milage.
Ok dumb question time: what are the signs that a valve job is due?

o2batsea
07-16-2014, 06:21 AM
Poor performance and lots of blue smoke

bugeye88
07-16-2014, 10:52 AM
A compression test is very helpful and quite simple to do, or have done for you.

Rob

SafeAirOne
07-16-2014, 11:38 AM
If you google "engine vacuum test results", there's a bunch of info on performing a vacuum test and interpretation of the results of such a test. The vacuum test is one of the most useful tests around for diagnostics of carbureted engine issues.

BobJones
07-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Thank you all.