PDA

View Full Version : oil leak

Zimbos
07-18-2014, 02:08 PM
after a routine Friday spin found this , the hole where it seems to be coming from looks threaded but not clean like a bolt just came out any thanks gareth dallas tx

bugeye88
07-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Zimbo,

Well, they all leak, but this looks a bit more than usual. Rear main seal is my best guess. Oil looks a bit black, may be time for a change. As for the threaded hole, I think it's supposed to be open unless fording rivers and such.
Rob
68 series 2a Bug Eye

stomper
07-18-2014, 04:08 PM
I agree with bugeye. That is the clutch housing drain. If oil
Leaks from there, it is usually the rear main seal. No plug should be put in there.

Zimbos
07-18-2014, 04:37 PM
is this rear main a nightmare , do I have to take off driveshaft, tunnel covers etc I assume the gearbox needs to be dropped and clear of working area
any idea why it would leak all of a sudden like that , the only thing ive changed recently is the air filter bypassed the oil bath for a while

SafeAirOne
07-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Is the crankcase being sufficiently vented? If the vent has been eliminated or obstructed, the pressure could build up, blowing stuff past the seals.

Zimbos
07-18-2014, 10:12 PM
thank you mark , wher and what should I look for in the vented issue

SafeAirOne
07-18-2014, 11:08 PM
I don't have a 2.25 engine, but venting usually takes the form of a vented oil fill cap or a PCV system.

Zimbos
07-20-2014, 09:27 AM
I checked the venting all seems good , I did a oil change also dropped the pan cleaned out the sludge ,new gasket installed new oil and filter , drove around town and leak seems to still be there , rear main job in the pipeline . any ideas on shop rates for this I will have a shop do this too big for me

stomper
07-20-2014, 05:34 PM
I had a shop do mine last year. Small local garage, that I went to high school with the owner. I think it set me back around $900. I did pick up the parts, including a fresh clutch, I removed the wings radiator and breakfast so I could save myself some shop labor.

BobJones
07-20-2014, 10:39 PM
Yup rear main. First job I've ever had a shop do for me. I also had a new clutch plate installed. I wish I had the trany seals or transfer case done too they're now leaking like crazy too.

fliptscript
07-22-2014, 11:24 AM
This isn't a terrible job to do yourself - it's just no fun. In a nutshell... take the seat box/floor/tunnel out, disconnect the rear prop, and you should be able to pull the transmission out. I think I had my tub off at the time, but I don't think that was necessary. After that, you can get to the rear seal by removing the drain pan. The seal (~ $15) is sort of an interesting split design. Replace the clutch before you bolt the transmission back on.

I can't say doing it made me a better person, but it really wasn't that bad.