PDA

View Full Version : Black smoke out exhaust???

xrover
06-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Today I noticed some black smoke from the exhaust and decided to let it run a bit. I just changed the oil and filter going to a 20/50.

I took it for a ride down the street and it was all over the place. Studdering and intermittent power loss.

I believe th heavier oil has fouled the plugs and is now working its way into the exhaust.

My plan is to change the oil and filter again, replace spark plus and go back to a 10/30 oil.

A friend of mine who has 5 to 6 classic cars always swears by adding 2 bottles (30 OZ) of ALEMITE CD2 FOR OIL BURNING at each oil change and has only had good luck with it.

Anyone want to shoot holes in this one or tell me youve had a good experience with this product?

Mercedesrover
06-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Your oil has nothing to do with it.

Sounds like you're running rich to me. Either a choke stuck on or a carb way out of adjustment. Yes, you may have fouled a plug here but it's because you're burning too much gas.

If you're burning your engine oil, you've got another problem all together!

jim

jac04
06-23-2007, 06:20 AM
Black smoke = fuel smoke
Greyish/blueish smoke = oil smoke

xrover
06-23-2007, 09:16 AM
it is black smoke. also, I have oil on the shed thats 3 feet away from the exhaust pipe.

I'm going to try and djust the carb and fuel/air mix (if I am reading right) to see if that solves it. Also have purchased the plugs so, I might as well put those in.

Any other suggestions???

Terrys
06-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Ditto on what everyone has said re Rich running. Check your idle air jet for clog. The stain you're seeing on the shed wall is unbburned fuel. 20/50 is fine for the summer, but a bit heavy for winter.

xrover
07-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Sorry... was on a non Rover type vacation in York Maine for the week.

I was planning on re-setting the carb adjustments today. From what I am reading, it looks like I turn them back to tight (not to tight) and bring out the fuel adjuster 1.5 turns and then the air adjuster out 1 turn.

Additionally, I was planning on changing the sparkplugs and taking it for a nice drive to blow out anything left over.

I had a nice conversation with my 18 y/o son over vacation. He told me that he started the series up to show a few of his friends and said, "dont wory dad, I remembered to pul out the choke when I started it up..."

He then told me that it ran for about 20 minutes and he then shut it off...

He is still alive...

xrover
07-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Just to give an update. The new set of plugs did the trick. I started it up, let it warm up then went around the block.

Cleared out all of the excess fuel and an added bonus... NO SKEETERS TONIGHT!!! :D