PDA

View Full Version : Mass. State Vehicle Inspection Advice?

gogo34
07-23-2014, 05:23 PM
I've recently relocated to Mass. and am in the process of getting all of my vehicles registered in the Comonwealth. The two daily drivers have been relatively straightforward with respect to getting them all set up but, I'm a little worried about the Mass. Vehicle Inspection process for my '66 Series IIa. It was previously registered in CT and by all accounts is in pretty nice condition but, like all Rovers of it's age, it leaks a little, the brakes aren't perfect, steering's not tight, etc.

I've followed several sagas on this forum and others concerning problems getting various Series Rovers registered so, I thought I'd seek some advice and or suggestions about the best way to go about this. I certainly can just go up to the nearest inspection station but, then I think I'm at the mercy of whoever is working there that day and his/her knowledge of vintage British automobiles.

Thoughts???

Thanks

Cevan
07-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Make sure your front wheel bearing are good. They often put a jack under the front end and check them. Horn, brake lights, directionals, e-brake, no cracks in the windshield. Where in Mass? I used an inspection station in Amherst that another series owner uses. No issues thus far.

gogo34
07-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Make sure your front wheel bearing are good. They often put a jack under the front end and check them. Horn, brake lights, directionals, e-brake, no cracks in the windshield. Where in Mass? I used an inspection station in Amherst that another series owner uses. No issues thus far.

I've moved to Winchester, MA but the Rover's down in Mashpee on the Cape for the summer. Based on your list, I think everything should check out. I've never messed with the wheel bearings but, everything else has been updated and/or serviced. I guess I'll give it a go this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks.

jac04
07-31-2014, 12:28 PM
When I had to do the CT inspection a while back, they jacked up the front and told me I needed new ball joints:confused:. What they were feeling & seeing was the correct front wheel bearing play multiplied out by the 7.50x16 tires. I made sure to bring the factory service manual with my to show them the required bearing end play.

REDrum
08-02-2014, 07:09 AM
Seems like you are asking two questions 1) registration and 2) passing inspection?

FWIW....

1) easy. But.....if you have not had your vehicle registered in your name 6 moths prior to moving to Mass, you have to pay sales tax on it. Be sure and fill out the tax exemption form when you register. If not they will asses the NADA value and tax in on it, all Series trucks are now vintage and hi value. 6% of $10K 600 bux!

2) No emission, just safety. Seat belts and parking brake are the hardest to pass with series trucks. I strongly advise picking a local gas/service station, buying all your gas there, and build a friendship with owner, it can go a long with inspections...

Welcome to Mass! Wanna buy a house?

LaneRover
08-04-2014, 07:59 AM
2) No emission, just safety. Seat belts and parking brake are the hardest to pass with series trucks. I strongly advise picking a local gas/service station, buying all your gas there, and build a friendship with owner, it can go a long with inspections...

Welcome to Mass! Wanna buy a house?

If your truck came with seatbelts . . .

lumpydog
08-22-2014, 07:08 AM
So I saw this thread a few weeks ago and was dreading having to deal with the same issue. I was picking up a new-to-me 68 2a 88 in Vt and driving it back to MA. I had titled the vehicle a week earlier and in Mass, you have 7 days to get the vehicle inspected after titling. So, with he clock ticking, on the 7th day I returned to MA via back roads and stopped at the first inspection station I found. They came out, said they loved the truck and told me they were just going to put a sticker on it. Two minutes later, I was on my way. Never even pulled it into their garage. Some days you get lucky...

I'll post pictures and give the back story on my 2a at some point over the next week.

Cheers,

Lumpydog

REDrum
08-22-2014, 07:54 AM
They came out, said they loved the truck and told me they were just going to put a sticker on it. Two minutes later, I was on my way. Never even pulled it into their garage

Nice happy ending!

BTW....How did you fare with sales tax in Ma with NADA Classic Car value?

gogo34
08-22-2014, 07:58 AM
So I saw this thread a few weeks ago and was dreading having to deal with the same issue. I was picking up a new-to-me 68 2a 88 in Vt and driving it back to MA. I had titled the vehicle a week earlier and in Mass, you have 7 days to get the vehicle inspected after titling. So, with he clock ticking, on the 7th day I returned to MA via back roads and stopped at the first inspection station I found. They came out, said they loved the truck and told me they were just going to put a sticker on it. Two minutes later, I was on my way. Never even pulled it into their garage. Some days you get lucky...

I'll post pictures and give the back story on my 2a at some point over the next week.

Cheers,

Lumpydog

While not as easy as yours, mine went okay. I took it to a local Tune and Lube in Falmouth and came out of there an hour later with my sticker. Of course, during the inspection, the mechanic said he found a "looseness" in the driver side front tire assembly and would have to reject/fail me. However, since they were slow, he could pull it into the alignment bay, put it on the lift and see what the problem was. After 30 mins, he came over and said one of the lug nuts was just loose and I was all set. So, in addition to the inspection fee, I coughed up another $50 for the lug nut tightening labor. I was more interested in getting my sticker than raising hell with them so I didn't bother, which is probably exactly what he was hoping for.

SafeAirOne
08-22-2014, 08:14 AM
After 30 mins, he came over and said one of the lug nuts was just loose and I was all set. So, in addition to the inspection fee, I coughed up another $50 for the lug nut tightening labor. I was more interested in getting my sticker than raising hell with them so I didn't bother, which is probably exactly what he was hoping for.

Consider that fee to be the cost of getting a sticker on an old series rover, since ONE loose lug nut doesn't make the wheel loose. I go through the same thing when my local inspection place charges me for the safety inspection PLUS an emissions inspection (plugging in the little OBDII thing). I just smile and pay them.

REDrum
08-22-2014, 04:39 PM
PLUS an emissions inspection (plugging in the little OBDII thing). I just smile and pay them.

LOL....

I Leak Oil
08-22-2014, 06:23 PM
I've never had an issue getting mine inspected reasonably easily. Only had an issue once, that was for backup lights. Never had them so....took a while to get the kid to get his boss out to the bay. Once the boss man saw the truck he grabbed the kid by the ear smacked him upside the head and started swearing at him in some other language. Once done he turned to me and told me all about all the rovers he owned back in his home country. Now, I just pull it into the bay, they jack up the front to check it, they check the lights, horn, etc. and slap a sticker on it. Really not much to it.

rj34957
08-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Guys - use the Texaco in Mashpee near the Stop n Shop. They worked on my IIA for many years. The PO took it there for all repairs and inspection.

lumpydog
08-22-2014, 11:44 PM
Nice happy ending!

BTW....How did you fare with sales tax in Ma with NADA Classic Car value?

I purchased the truck for more than NADA, so no argument. I paid tax on my purchase price and went on my way...

stomper
08-23-2014, 06:59 AM
So you paid more than $20,000 for your series truck? Have any friends looking to buy? I've got a beauty here in Maine! Heck, I'll even deliver it! :)

gogo34
08-23-2014, 07:29 AM
Guys - use the Texaco in Mashpee near the Stop n Shop. They worked on my IIA for many years. The PO took it there for all repairs and inspection.

I'd love to find a Series mechanic in Mashpee. Are you sure it was a Texaco? The nearest Texaco is several towns over. Did it have another name and/or possibly change affiliations (I.e. Bob's Texaco and now it's Bob's Shell)? There are a couple independent auto repair shops around town so I may just stop in and ask. I could use a general diagnostic check up. The Rover seems to run okay but, I don't have anything to compare it to. I'd like someone to just give it the "once over" for peace of mind.

lumpydog
08-24-2014, 09:36 PM
So you paid more than $20,000 for your series truck? Have any friends looking to buy? I've got a beauty here in Maine! Heck, I'll even deliver it! :)

Hah - thanks for that. To each there own I guess. It's all what it's worth to you. As promised, details of my new rover, here (http://forums.roversnorth.com/showthread.php?15679-Another-New-Series-Owner-Reporting-In).