PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

Tasi Autele
07-28-2014, 02:11 AM
After 2 years of sitting I have my 74' 109 ex mod running. Is there anything I should look out for with an engine that has been sitting? I will change the fluids, I have a new belt ordered. Just any general info tips please. I am trying to connect the gauges, and warning indicators before I drive it too much.
I have white smoke coming out of the exhaust now that I loosened a screw on the carburetor. (running lean now?)
I put in a 2.25 engine in from an 88. I need to know where to, or if I need to connect the sensors from the 109 for water and oil. They are connected to male sensors at the end of stiff black wires. Or does the lead on top of the thermostat on the new engine take the place of the old screw in sensor?

Thank you in advance.
Tasi

o2batsea
07-28-2014, 06:33 AM
Are the electrics on the FFR 24 volt? Most were.
White smoke usually indicates water or coolant in the exhaust. A little on startup is OK but if it keeps pumping white smoke it prolly needs something like a head gasket.

SafeAirOne
07-28-2014, 07:51 AM
I have white smoke coming out of the exhaust now that I loosened a screw on the carburetor. (running lean now?)

I don't have a carb on my engine, so you'll want to confirm this, but I believe that if you're talking about mixture screw(s), turning them OUT (anti-clockwise) will increase the size of the fuel passage and therefore will enrich the fuel/air mixture, which could explain your smoke.