PDA

View Full Version : Gear Oil ?

ron thompson
08-08-2014, 08:22 AM
Just bought a Rover with a Fairey Overdrive. Recommended gear oil is EP90 for the overdrive. Will EP75/90 work or is that a mistake? Thanks

jac04
08-08-2014, 09:09 AM
I would be most concerned with using a gear oil without Limited Slip additives. The LS additives may give you synchro problems causing grinding at gear changes. What are you currently using in your transmission & x-fer case?

I've always had excellent results with CRC Sta-Lube 85W-90 GL-4 in my Land Rovers and 68 Camaro 4-speed. No LS additives.

TedW
08-08-2014, 09:20 AM
I would be most concerned with using a gear oil without Limited Slip additives. The LS additives may give you synchro problems causing grinding at gear changes. What are you currently using in your transmission & x-fer case?

I've always had excellent results with CRC Sta-Lube 85W-90 GL-4 in my Land Rovers and 68 Camaro 4-speed. No LS additives.

I've used synthetic 75-90 for 20+ years with no problems. Still nice 'n quiet (for a Fairey) and smooth shifting. The Fairey has a relatively small oil capacity, so it's wise to check it regularly. The synthetic also helps the unit to run cooler.

Just my $0.02- your results may differ.....

Ted